Trouble resizing layers & Canvas

Hey clearly I'm new here, and yes I have spent the better part of 30 minutes searching the forums for an answer to my question. I am currently building a signature banner. My canvas size is 500px x 150px. I go to layer>import from file> and place my image, my canvas size changes. If I try to resize the image everything gets resized as a whole. And if I resize the canvas it cuts off part of my image that I just placed, and when I move my image it stays cut off. I guess what I am trying to say is I want to be able to resize my newly placed image without resizing the whole canvas.

Thanks!

sig1.jpg

Once you've inserted the image, you can select the whole layer (using Ctrl+A) and drag the handles down to shrink it.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Not really. After you've dragged it down to the size you want, just select it with the Rectangle Select tool or by using the magic wand everywhere else and inverting the selection. Then hit "Ctrl+Shift+X," and it will crop to that selection. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.