SDI option? :)

Hi again, just seeing if anyone has had any time to look at making the forced-MDI interface optional and allow multiple instances. I didn't see any options in 3.20, and it still intercepts external attempts to open an image or run another instance.

Rick wants to leave the program simple. Option overload plagues a lot of programs, and he doesn't want it to be something new users have to deal with on this one.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Well, generally, I agree, but a single 'settings' or 'options' entry under the edit menu probably wouldn't lead to any major overload. You wouldn't even have to mess with the 'file -> open' or thumbnail code, just one check box to allow (or disallow) multiple instances. Or is it much more complex than that?

I love this quote:

Every time someone says "that can't be hard," Rick sighs, rolls his eyes, and wonders why he didn't become a doctor like his mom wanted him to."

So true.

Basically, Rick doesn't want to change the way Paint.NET handles multiple files. He likes it this way. So, if you're going to use Paint.NET, you better get used to it. :D

Well, the MDI is integral with the coding of Paint.NET, I think. Why would you want to use PdN without the MDI?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

...and allow multiple instances...

I just saw that. Sorry. :-)

Well, the MDI is integral with the coding of Paint.NET, I think. Why would you want to use PdN without the MDI?

He wants to view two pictures side-by-side.

Actually, it's less that than having a consistent way to switch from document to document - alt tab, to be specific. Yes, I know about ctrl-tab or whatever it is, but it's still not alt-tab. ;)

I know it may seem obnoxious or naive to say "it seems easy," and though I'm not a Windows programmer, I've done more embedded stuff, and I have at least an idea of what features could probably be easily left undisturbed and which would hopefully be a very short list. When you have a program that prevents multiple instances, does it actually start to run a second instance and then hand off the document to the first instance and shut down? If so, that would "probably" be a very easy fix. The overwhelming majority of MDI and the rest of the code remains untouched (assuming that is how the multiple instance blocking works).

I can't for the life of me figure out why people want different document switching conventions for different types of documents, but to each their own. I just appreciate it when you can address 2 different approaches and satisfy everyone, as Firefox has done since they added tabs (bleck).

I'm afraid you're somewhat alone in saying that tabs are "bleck." :-P I very much like my multi-document interface, and tabbed browsing.

To the point, though: I'm not sure how the MDI works, but I think it's fairly well embedded.