Background Problems??

How can I put one picture in without it messing up the background? I want to put a picture in but it covers the background. I can't change the size of the new picture without it changing the size of the background too. I tried doing this even with a new layer and it still won't work. It is getting to be quite frustrating, especially since I have just recently started working with paint.NET...

Also, how can I make a picture black and white while leaving other features in color, e.g. eyes or hair, etc.?

How can I put one picture in without it messing up the background? I want to put a picture in but it covers the background. I can't change the size of the new picture without it changing the size of the background too. I tried doing this even with a new layer and it still won't work. It is getting to be quite frustrating, especially since I have just recently started working with paint.NET...

Also, how can I make a picture black and white while leaving other features in color, e.g. eyes or hair, etc.?

Duplicate the layer your working on, and then make it black and white, then use the magic wand or erarser to get rid of everything you don't want to be black and white.

The image is covering over the background because it has a background of its own. To cut out the image you're overlaying so it doesn't mess with the background, follow this tutorial: Cutting out images the easy way

To resize just the top image, make sure you paste it on a new layer. Then, press [Ctrl]+[A] ( or choose from the menu Edit -> Select All ), click on the Rectangle Select tool ( :RectangleSelectTool: ), and click on one of the nubs in one of the corners. Drag the nub around to resize that layer. You can also hold [shift] to keep the original aspect ratio so the result doesn't look squished.

For removing the color from all but specific elements, check out this tutorial: Pleasantville Effect

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype