Blowing Sand Effect

OK,

I am working on a CD Cover for my dad's second CD.

I would like to make a font that has the top of each letter starting to "denigrate" and blowing to the side of the picture, where it will stop.

Kind of like the "Wind" desktop background in Win XP. (minus the sand, I am just looking for the effect)

Wind.jpg

----------------

Now playing: Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

via FoxyTunes

----------------

Firefox User

Is this sort of what you're looking for?

sand.png

I got this by doing various iterations of :AddNoise: Add noise and :MotionBlur: Motion Blur, plus a Sine Waves

There was a little bit of Splinter and Clone stamp to clean things up a bit too.

Let me know if you need some more detail. I'm sure with a little work, you could come up with something much better than this.

time-smaller.png

Sine Waves is a plugin that can be found here: http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=5663

(Put the .dll you get there in the Program Files > Paint.NET > Effects folder and re-start Paint.NET to install the plugin).

I used it with these settings:

Amplitude: 5

Horizontal period: 0

Vertical period: 1

Angle of start: 0

Anti-alias: 2

You should play around with the "Amplitude" and "Angle of start" for the sand.

When you're using motion blur, make sure the "centered" checkbox is un-checked to make it go in one direction.

When using blurs, it will get less detailed, but I just added more noise to the section I blurred and it went right back to the sandy look it had before.

(Blur steps usually went: Blur -> Add Noise -> Blur -> Add Noise)

time-smaller.png

• 2 months later...

Please read the rules. Resurrecting old threads is prohibited.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Then should I have made a new thread? Most forums require you to post in an old thread. -_-

Take a look at the rules. Please. :-) They're available in the orange box near the top of the page. Threads over three months old are considered dead, except in the Plugins, Tutorials, and Overflow sections.

So, yes, you should've made a new thread.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.