Digital Screentoning

There's no easy way to do it...but I'm sure some plugin author could figure something out by mating a Grid Maker sort of thing with the Cutout effect and the Dithering effect...actually, I might be able to make up a tutorial on it sometime within the next few days.

You could find a workaround by searching for "lite bright effect", but the problem with that particular tutorial is that the colored dots aren't different sizes.

I agree, though; this would be a very interesting and cool plugin!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Wow, thanks, Yata! That's exactly it. Well, unless Omega had something different in mind...

Just follow that tut, and go in afterward and color what you want colored.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

There's a cutout effect?

Where's that?

In Search :-)

It is quite helpful for many things...

Thanks a lot for all you're help guys :) .

Sorry about this but is there a way to use that effect like this tutorial: http://www.mangarevolution.com/tutorial ... rial_id=57

Or do I just use the magic wand tool to select the parts I want to screentone?

Well, one of the main steps in that tutorial mentions either erasing the parts that you don't want or using a layer mask.

The first method is self explanatory, the second one (using a layer mask) would be similar to magic-wanding the appropriate area of the screen before doing the steps in the halftone tutorial.

You can experiment with using the right mouse button when doing selections (which cuts out the new selection area from the old one...not the stuff on the canvas, but the area that is selected).

Say you need a crescent shape to work in. Make a circular selection for the outer edge of the crescent, then (just past the spot you left the mouse in at the end of creating the circle) right-click a new circular selection, dragging the pointer back towards where you started.

If you have an area of the screen you want to halftone that's easily magic-wandable, then that's an easy way to go, but otherwise, pay close attention to the status bar at the bottom of the Paint.NET window when you're using the other selection tools...it has good info for how to really use them to get the selection you want.

drakaan sig jan 2020.png