Newbie here. How do I join jpegs vertically?

Hi everybody! :)

I just installed Paint.NET and have a newbie question. I have several jpeg photos that I would like to join together vertically, one below the other, to form one long "list" (so they would form just one big jpeg of approx 1 mb). How would I go about doing this? The photos are of varying sizes.

They are all totally separate photos, so I am not looking to stitch them together into a panorama. I just want them listed one below the other.

Do I need to actually stitch them together? Or can I just paste them all on a plain color background image and then save that as one big jpeg? How would I make a background image and then paste? :?: I would like to then post the finished jpeg on websites and message boards.

I am not very computer literate, so can someone please give me some simple, newbie-friendly instructions? :oops: Thanks for any help on this!

Hi everybody! :)

I just installed Paint.NET and have a newbie question. I have several jpeg photos that I would like to join together vertically, one below the other, to form one long "list" (so they would form just one big jpeg of approx 1 mb). How would I go about doing this? The photos are of varying sizes.

They are all totally separate photos, so I am not looking to stitch them together into a panorama. I just want them listed one below the other.

Do I need to actually stitch them together? Or can I just paste them all on a plain color background image and then save that as one big jpeg? How would I make a background image and then paste? :?: I would like to then post the finished jpeg on websites and message boards.

I am not very computer literate, so can someone please give me some simple, newbie-friendly instructions? :oops: Thanks for any help on this!

1. Open PDN and go to Image > Canvas Size..., create a canvas that is the width of your largest picture and make the canvas with a very large height (or if you don't know the dimensions just make your canvas extremely big).

2. Create a new layer (:AddNewLayer: in the layers window)

3. Layers > Import from file, then open your first desired picture. Using the move pixel tool (:MoveTool:) move your picture to the desired position, preferably at the top.

4. Layers > Import from file, and do the same process again. You could open a new layer for each picture, but that is up to you.

5. On your original white layer, and using the paint bucket tool (:PaintBucketTool:) and a colour of your choice, click the canvas to change the colour.

6. Once satisfied with the finished product, highlight around all your work (doesn't matter what layer) using the square selection tool (:RectangleSelectTool:) then press Ctrl + Shift + X to crop the canvas to the size of the selection.

Hope this helps.

1. Open PDN and go to Image > Canvas Size..., create a canvas that is the width of your largest picture and make the canvas with a very large height (or if you don't know the dimensions just make your canvas extremely big).

2. Create a new layer (:AddNewLayer: in the layers window)

3. Layers > Import from file, then open your first desired picture. Using the move pixel tool (:MoveTool:) move your picture to the desired position, preferably at the top.

4. Layers > Import from file, and do the same process again. You could open a new layer for each picture, but that is up to you.

5. On your original white layer, and using the paint bucket tool (:PaintBucketTool:) and a colour of your choice, click the canvas to change the colour.

6. Once satisfied with the finished product, highlight around all your work (doesn't matter what layer) using the square selection tool (:RectangleSelectTool:) then press Ctrl + Shift + X to crop the canvas to the size of the selection.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for all your help! :D

I just tried a test and it worked perfectly, although I can't seem to apply any color to the background canvas. I clicked on that paint bucket tool you said, then I clicked on a primary color in the box in the lower left hand corner, then I clicked on the white background image, but nothing happened. I tried left and right clicking. Am I maybe doing it in the wrong sequence or something?

Thank you so much for all your help! :D

I just tried a test and it worked perfectly, although I can't seem to apply any color to the background canvas. I clicked on that paint bucket tool you said, then I clicked on a primary color in the box in the lower left hand corner, then I clicked on the white background image, but nothing happened. I tried left and right clicking. Am I maybe doing it in the wrong sequence or something?

This may be a fault of my instructions.

However if not, have you a selection active? If you have or are unsure press the ESC on your keyboard (or Ctrl + D or Edit > Deselect) as having a selection active may stop you from doing such alterations.

Also, it could have been the images you are using. If your using .jpeg images then they may have white borders around them which is blocking the white layer underneath. If this is the case your best bet is to leave it but if you do want help to remove any borders (if this is the case) just ask.

In either case I'm still glad it worked for you - for the most part :)

This may be a fault of my instructions.

However if not, have you a selection active? If you have or are unsure press the ESC on your keyboard (or Ctrl + D or Edit > Deselect) as having a selection active may stop you from doing such alterations.

Also, it could have been the images you are using. If your using .jpeg images then they may have white borders around them which is blocking the white layer underneath. If this is the case your best bet is to leave it but if you do want help to remove any borders (if this is the case) just ask.

In either case I'm still glad it worked for you - for the most part :)

Yes, the bottom photo still had the moving line around it, so I deselected it and the color applied fine, however the color completely covers over the top 2 photos, only leaving the bottom photo visible (I am using 3 photos for the test). Is there another step maybe?

Also, after I have pasted all 3 photos on the background, how do I move them around later if I need to? When I click that "move pixel" tool and then click on a photo, it just selects the whole background and puts the moving line around the whole thing.

P.S None of the photos have borders on them, so no worries there.

Yes, the bottom photo still had the moving line around it, so I deselected it and the color applied fine, however the color completely covers over the top 2 photos, only leaving the bottom photo visible (I am using 3 photos for the test). Is there another step maybe?

Also, after I have pasted all 3 photos on the background, how do I move them around later if I need to? When I click that "move pixel" tool and then click on a photo, it just selects the whole background and puts the moving line around the whole thing.

P.S None of the photos have borders on them, so no worries there.

From what I gather try turning the tolerance down (when you have a tool like fill bucket it will appear at the top under the magnification percentage) and maybe this will solve it.

As for moving them individually, just use the square select tool (:RectangleSelectTool:) to draw a box around the picture to be moved, then use the move pixel tool like before. Maybe as a suggestion, and especially if you are considering moving a lot, to have each picture on a new layer as this will make it easier to work with.

Simply select with the rectangle select, Ctrl + X to cut, add new layer then Ctrl + V to paste the image. This will make moving each picture easier and may even make colouring the background easier too.

If this is your first real picture on Paint.NET it would be good to experiment to get a 'feel for the place' and try out different techniques. One technique may work for one task but a different technique might work better for another task.

From what I gather try turning the tolerance down (when you have a tool like fill bucket it will appear at the top under the magnification percentage) and maybe this will solve it.

As for moving them individually, just use the square select tool (:RectangleSelectTool:) to draw a box around the picture to be moved, then use the move pixel tool like before. Maybe as a suggestion, and especially if you are considering moving a lot, to have each picture on a new layer as this will make it easier to work with.

Simply select with the rectangle select, Ctrl + X to cut, add new layer then Ctrl + V to paste the image. This will make moving each picture easier and may even make colouring the background easier too.

If this is your first real picture on Paint.NET it would be good to experiment to get a 'feel for the place' and try out different techniques. One technique may work for one task but a different technique might work better for another task.

You could also just make your background in any color you want, then make a new layer (which is transparent) paste your photos there, then when finished just flatten the image and you're done. This also gives you the ability to do a background with shapes and colors in it, the PDN photo gallery has several examples of nice effects that could be used for such purposes.

Juds_Fire_sig.png

100% PDN

You could also just make your background in any color you want, then make a new layer (which is transparent) paste your photos there, then when finished just flatten the image and you're done. This also gives you the ability to do a background with shapes and colors in it, the PDN photo gallery has several examples of nice effects that could be used for such purposes.

Juds_Fire_sig.png

100% PDN