Hey,

I've been trying to make this big panorama of a solar system, but I want to do a ringed planet somewhere. Could anyone give me a good tutorial describing how to draw some rings? Don't forget to include lots of pictures...

Thanks,

Josh

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

For that step I did something totally different...

I created a new layer and filled it with black and then drew a large white filled circle that was as big as I want my ring to be, then I drew a smaller black filled circle over the white circle(this is the ring center). Then I blurred that layer a little bit and changed the layer blending mode to multiply...then just flatten the image and continue.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Oh, right. Cool ideas everyone... I did something entirely different. I basically created a radial gradient, and then modified the luminosity curves like in Extra's Nova tutorial, so thanks Extra!

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

Oh, right. Cool ideas everyone... I did something entirely different. I basically created a radial gradient, and then modified the luminosity curves like in Extra's Nova tutorial, so thanks Extra!

That is exactly what I did the first time I used this effect. I only brought up the other way cuz it seems like it would be a little easier to grasp than:

"D/L BB's Gradient effect(I say BB's cuz it'll draw the gradient from the exact center without too much work.), create a b/w radial gradient, use curves to make it look like a ring with slightly blurry edges and then radial blur it a little to clean it up. Then change the blending mode to "Multiply"."

^That, and people like drawing circles...:wink:

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

As it's very simple to produce, I'll write a small tutorial here (later at the tutorials).

1. Fill the background with black and make a new layer, you'll be working on the new layer.

2. Use polygons plugin with brush width of 2 (makes the rendering faster).

3. Repeat with different values. Note that you don't have to touch the "zoom" (or was it size..) slider except about one time, to do the inner part of the ring. Using different colours may bring interesting results.

4. Now use radial blur (max value). Re use it until you're satisfied.

5. If you want to break the smooth appearence, use noise + gaussian blur.

6. Rotate :)

7. Use.