Simple tiling!?

I'm a very big fan of Paint.NET but there's one thing I'm missing. That thing is simple tiling. I'm a webdeveloper and use Paint.NET for graphics for websites a lot. A nice effect I like to give to pages is "diagonal lines" background. On sites, that's easy to achieve, create a 3x3 image, fill it with whatever color and using the Pencil make three dots with another color, then use CSS to repeat that image all over the background. But sometimes that's not enough, and I want to make a nice gradient with diagonal lines, that will mean a bigger image and will mean that I have to tile the 3x3 image. Currently that's impossible so I usually take a screenshot of the page with the 3x3 image background and paste it in Paint.NET (!!!).

I really think coding this would be trivial (I don't know any .NET coding or I would've done it myself) considering what you have done so far.

The way I see this done is like this: make a selection using any select tool, go to effects -> tile, maybe have a choice to tile it on the x-axis, on the y-axis, or both, click OK and the selection would be repeated all over the layer. I think it would be a really great feature and it would make Paint.NET a lot better, at least for me.

pdnsig.gif

I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Play with the Paint Bucket fill options. There a few different diagonal line fill options

2. Check out the "Photo Flood Fill Plug-In". It does exactly what you are looking for. It allows you to import a "tillable texture" into your current canvas regardless of its size.

3. Try and refrain from saying something seems easy to code.

A. It trivializes the work done by the programmers(it could have been really hard to code.)

B. Like you said, you don't know exactly what it takes to code the feature.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

1. Those are too thick, I want 1-pixel wide lines :D

2. Thanks a lot! Exactly what I was looking for! :)

3. I know a bit about coding myself and I would be able to make that effect in PHP for example in like, say, 10-20 minutes, that's why I said that it would probably be trivial.

Anyway, thanks a lot for pointing me to that plugin :).

pdnsig.gif