Error Opening File

Bill23

I created several Paint.net files recently and now when I try to open them I get the following error message:

System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.

at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData)

at PaintDotNet.Data.PngFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Data\PngFileType.cs:line 118

at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 459

at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 156

How can I fis this?

What version of Paint.NET?  Can you open the images in any other program (they appear to be PNG files, according to the error)?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

You are getting an error because Paint.NET uses the PNG filetype loader to open the file.  So I'm expecting your file has the extension .png.

So maybe you saved your file as Paint.NET file but used the wrong extension .png.

If this is the case then change the extension from .png to .pdn manually and try again to open the file.

If this does not work then you may

- use a tool like FileRoots to analyze the content of your file to determine the right extension

- provide us access to one of the files.

midoras signature.gif

You are right about the extension being wrong for two of the files.  I changed it from .png to .pdn and the files opened ok.  The third file still refuses to open.  I'll look at it further.