making things into slime

well, i'm a new guy on the forum. i've been using paint.net for a while.

anyways, i want to know how to make something look like its made of slime. i can do the transparency thing, but the dripping effect on the body and what not is unknown to me.

you see, the reason i need this is because... wait for it...

i need to make original slime ponies.   ya... slime ponies...

anyways this is an example of the effect i'm looking for

fc8qs7.jpg

First off, take a look at the forum rules (particularly about descriptive titles). The explanation as to why this rule exists and why I'm pointing you to it is in the rules thread.

Titles aside, I think the best way to get this effect is to first analyze your example image. Look at why the drips look the way they do, where they occur, then visualize your new slime-pony. This being cartoon drawings, there's nothing real fancy about it because it's easier to animate simple shapes with minimal shades of color. It's all about using the fewest strokes of a pen to achieve an effect.

Things to notice:

-The drips that appear to be about to fall are always at low points (local minima, if you're a math/graph-oriented person)

-When the drips aren't on the edges of the pony, they stay close

-Where the slime runs into something (ex: feet touching the ground), it gets wobbly or pools.

-Slime is shiny. White squiggles make cartoon things look shiny.

EDIT: I've changed your title to something more relevant to your question. If you wish to change it, there is an edit button in the bottom right corner of your original post. Click it, then click on the "Use Full Editor" button.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

First off, take a look at the forum rules (particularly about descriptive titles). The explanation as to why this rule exists and why I'm pointing you to it is in the rules thread.

Titles aside, I think the best way to get this effect is to first analyze your example image. Look at why the drips look the way they do, where they occur, then visualize your new slime-pony. This being cartoon drawings, there's nothing real fancy about it because it's easier to animate simple shapes with minimal shades of color. It's all about using the fewest strokes of a pen to achieve an effect.

Things to notice:

-The drips that appear to be about to fall are always at low points (local minima, if you're a math/graph-oriented person)

-When the drips aren't on the edges of the pony, they stay close

-Where the slime runs into something (ex: feet touching the ground), it gets wobbly or pools.

-Slime is shiny. White squiggles make cartoon things look shiny.

EDIT: I've changed your title to something more relevant to your question. If you wish to change it, there is an edit button in the bottom right corner of your original post. Click it, then click on the "Use Full Editor" button.

ok, thanks for the title change, but i'm not very good with arts. so copying something with just a visual isnt going to work. i was hoping there was some kind of trick or a technique or even a tutorial of some sort. if there is some kind of thing i can use to help me. i would really appreaciate it.

ok, thanks for the title change, but i'm not very good with arts. so copying something with just a visual isnt going to work. i was hoping there was some kind of trick or a technique or even a tutorial of some sort. if there is some kind of thing i can use to help me. i would really appreaciate it.

I see...

In that case, are you starting from scratch, or do you have a source image?

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I see...

In that case, are you starting from scratch, or do you have a source image?

yeah, i'll just tell you why i need this technique under my belt. you see there is a game i play on this site called roblox.com, the whole point of roblox is that you can create a profile and you can make your own game for the site. some players games are more popular than others. there is one game on the site, its a my little pony: friendship is magic, roleplaying game.

and this game allows people to use custom decals for their character in game.

and thats why i need this trick. so i can make slime ponies to use in game.

here is one of the pictures i plan to use

1y05j6.jpg