Any switch to prevent "optimizing" on install?

I load Paint.net on corporate images that come from the home office and each time I install it, the "optimizing for your system" occupies the machine for a good 5-10 minutes. Is there any install switch that will prevent the installer from optimizing Paint.net (and setting a Windows restore point - since I'm here, I might as well ask).

Thanks!

There's no way to prevent the System Restore point other than by disabling System Restore for the whole system. This is just how System Restore works, it's not a Paint.NET feature. If Paint.NET didn't bracket the process with an SR transaction then it would create 2 restore points on update (1 for the uninstall, 1 for the install). For regular install/uninstall you'll just have 1 regardless. Now, some people have gotten really uppity about this for some unexplainable reason, so just let me reiterate the point: this is how System Restore works, it's not a Paint.NET thing.

As for NGEN, there is an MSI property, QUEUENGEN=1. However, that does not affect the setup wizard.

If NGEN is taking awhile then it's probably because there was a recent update to .NET itself (or a fresh install of it). What results is that large parts of the .NET Framework need to be recompiled, but they're placed into a queue so this can be done when the system is "idle." When Paint.NET installs, it needs them to be compiled now, so it moves forward that time sink.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I understand what you're saying but I don't think that's what is actually happening. The reason I suspect another mechanism is at work here is that I image machines with the same identical Ghost image and run the Paint.NET install on them immediately after imaging and a reboot. On some imaged machines, Paint.NET will install quickly while on others Paint.NET's install will drag out for 10 minutes. If it was a .NET compile issue, all machines should exhibit the same behavior since they're in an identical state after being imaged with the same Ghost image.

Edit: One process that I initiate before installing Paint.NET is the uninstall of the Symantec/Altiris CLIMA agent. Whether this somehow affects the Paint.NET install I'm not sure.

Edited by bdwilcox