Rick, some nice guy actually adapted an old version of the .NET framework to work under the *NIX system... so YES, it CAN be runned but you'll need a very old version of the software. Just google around and you'll find what you are looking for, tomtheox

Also, I recommend trying GIMP for Ubuntu, since this software is really adapted to the situation.

Source: made it run on Ubuntu 10.04 myself.

EDIT

crud...

Any possiblity of it being available eventually?

That won't be possible, not before the source code is released and that SOMEONE uses it to recode it entirely in another more universal language such as Java (even though it's not as complete as C#), because the .NET framework is entirely developed by Windows only for Windows.

Edited by qwertyuu

borderg.png

Yes okay if you want to go and fiddle with command lines and config files and all those other Lunix things for a few days, then yeah ... I'm sure there's some way to do it.

But I don't know how. It's certainly not supported. I can't recommend it (heck, I've never used it). "Possible" is not the same as "oh yeah that's totally a good idea." And it probably won't work completely. If it crashes, that's a bummer, but sorry we can't help you ... don't say we didn't warn you. Although if it works, cool, have fun and enjoy it.

Since this is not a Ubuntu hacking forum, you'll have to go ask around elsewhere. That's just not what we're in the business of here.

That won't be possible, not before the source code is released and that SOMEONE uses it to recode it entirely in another more universal language such as Java

Umm, and no. Java is not a "more universal language" than C#. I have no idea what led you to believe that.

What you download and install as "Microsoft .NET Framework" is Microsoft's implementation of an official standard for the CLR (Common Language Runtime) and BCL (Base Class Library). You can get these for other platforms, the most notable alternative of which is Mono.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Mono running on Ubuntu gets an AWFUL result... The performance are really slow.

Getting Java to run on Linux gets a way better performance and also does not have compatibility issues... which Mono has. Mono tends to crash about once every 2 times you use it and running Paint.NET on it will decrease it's stability and rendering powers.

A Java application running on Windows will have the same performances on Linux, since it's based on the exact same code and do not need a special emulation to run. It is more "universal" since you can run .jar on about every machines (Mac, PC and Linux), and not .exe or .dll, as for Paint.NET.

EDIT: also, the Ubuntu "adaptation" is pretty unstable, which is why I am offering you to look into an alternative instead of trying code emulators to run it.

It is also not a "hack" to use an open source .NET adaptation on Ubuntu to get to use Paint.NET in an older version... but as I said, it's not stable and tends to get very bad rendering speed/crash.

Edited by qwertyuu

borderg.png

Ok, neat. Still doesn't change the conclusion. Plus I'd rather eat at Chick-fil-a than write Java code. It's disgusting stuff.

Hahahaha, well, that's a personnal opinion... I'm not a developer so I cannot really talk, but it's still a very great alternative when you want a cross-platform (let's say, a crypted chat client) program, which Paint.NET is not.

borderg.png