Entering text on opaque background

Thanks for your reply Welshblue. I'm getting the idea. I am just a bit intimidated by the whole layers thing. I find the MS paint textbox with transparency settings easy to understand and use.

Your tools menu has a primary/secondary color palette in the top right hand corner and does not. I am using the latest version (3.5.10)

At the moment (after your advice) I manage with the following procedure

1. Add two layers

2. On layer 3 write some text in primary colour (red)

3. on layer 2 draw a box in secondary colour (white)

4. Select paint bucket tool on layer 2 and paint the box with secondary colour (white)

This seems slightly different. what am I doing wrong?

Another question: can i set the transparency of layer two so that I can still see some of the background behind it?

Thanks

screenshot.17a.png

The thing in the top right of welshie's screenshot is not part of the toolbar. It is on the bar across the top of the screen just above the ruler. The icon with the circle and rectangle is how you change from outline shapes to filled shapes.

PS At first, layers may seem intimidating, but with practice, you will find them to be addicting. In the project I am currently working on, I've used a total of at least twenty layers and I'll still be using more soon! :D

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo