Installation shortcut location

Hi,

I created an msi with the following command line :

Paint.NET.3.5.10.Install.exe /skipConfig /auto /createMsi JPGPNGBMPEDITOR=0 TGAEDITOR=0 DESKTOPSHORTCUT=0

It works fine as I deployed it on many computers with Microsoft's GPOs. Been doing this for a few years with older versions.

The problem I have is I am going to deploy Paint.net on over 3000 computers this year and they changed our standard installation. We must put the shortcut in the [starMenu]\Logiciels folder and not the [ProgramsMenu], so the option PROGRAMSGROUP= is no good for me, I tried PROGRAMSGROUP=[starMenu]\Logiciels, but the sortcut is created in [ProgramsMenu]\"[starMenu]\Logiciels". I also tried to change it with ORCA, but I can't figure out how to do it, there's nothing in the shortcuts table. The properties are rather unsignificative... can't find what to change...

Thanks for the help,

Alexandre Chevrier.

There's no setting for Paint.NET that will do this. You also cannot "trick" Paint.NET into putting the shortcut anywhere you want by using relative paths, e.g. "..\..\..\..\Users\Rick\Documents\MyFavoriteProgramShortcuts". That is proactively guarded against for security reasons, mostly so that when Paint.NET is uninstalled it doesn't go and delete something other than a link in the Start Menu->Programs directory. It also prevents a virus/trojan/whatever from tricking Paint.NET into deleting something else when it's uninstalled by way of editing the registry key where this relative path is stored. (You may ask, if the virus can edit that reg key then it already has administrator access, so why would it bother trying to trick Paint.NET? But, defense in depth is still important.)

Your best bet would be some kind of post-install script or batch file that moves the shortcut to where they want it to be.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg