Paint.Net not saving my JPG's

Guys

I am having trouble and, not being too technically literate, can only explain what appears to be happening. I am using a lap top running Windows 7 and the Beta version of Paint.Net. I open a JPG file and do some editing (basically removal of some white background) which all seems fine. Then I save the file, using "save", get confirmation that the file is being saved but then find that the file is exactly the same as before. I have checked that it is not "read only". I have tried saving the file as TIFF and that saves the edits. What might this be

I have subsequently found that it saves some things e.g. I added text, but does not save a deletion (to give transparency).

Edited by Tipton Harrier

JPG files can't do transparency. If you want it to be transparent, you'll need to use a file format that supports Alpha, such as PNG or GIF. PNG is higher-quality, but GIF will give you a smaller filesize.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.