advice on my logo

This is my first attempt at anything paint.net related.

I used many tutorials and plugins and help from this forum.

One thing i cannot achieve is a border around the bird( its a heron ) like an outline where there is solid black bird, then white gap then thin black line.

I have plugins called outline but i cant get it to work how i want.

any help much appreciated

boltbait.cool.pngboltbait.cool.png

• 2 weeks later...
Go to Effects > Object > Outline Object (using the one that looks like a white circle with a black outline, not the one under Effects > Stylize > Outline)

Sorry, but all I see is "Effects > Stylize > Outline", not the one you're suggesting ( "Effects > Object > Outline"). I've been trying to learn the basics for a month or so, but can't get anywhere because of these really basic quirks. There's tons of advanced how-to's, but very little on the basics like this.

PS: I'm just trying to add a drop shadow to an image. That's all. I've been at it for a month so far, but all I've been able to figure out is how to open and close a file. After an hour or so I give up and go back to NeoPaint!

all you want is to add a drop shadow?

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/8375-drop-shadow-and-other-effects-krisvdms-plugin-pack-updated-2010-10-26/ there is the plugin pack that contains the dropshaddow

once installed you will find it under effects/object--

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

all you want is to add a drop shadow?

http://forums.getpai...ted-2010-10-26/ there is the plugin pack that contains the dropshaddow

once installed you will find it under effects/object--

Thanks, but the plug-in instructions are not clear. I've installed the plug-in, and it appears to be all there. But there's no instruction on how it works. The paint.NET wiki says, for example, "Create a new layer, and then move it below the the original layer." but doesn't say how to do that. It assumes that I'm an expert already, but I'm just a beginner. There doesn't seem to be any "how-to-do-it" info anywhere.

Edited by JJJoseph

post-83690-131922759795_thumb.png If you have the plugin yellowman suggested (Pyrochild pack :Outline Object) then do exactly this:

On the Heron layer (and make sure that the Heron is the only thing on the layer, nothing else):

1) Don't select anything. Selecting is what will make the outline go along the inside of your heron (and thus, lose the legs). Go to Effects > Object > Outline Object (using the one that looks like a white circle with a black outline, not the one under Effects > Stylize > Outline)

2) Move the sliders for Radius and Strength around until the line is thick enough. If you set both sliders to 10, that's as thick as it will allow you to go in one shot. If you need it even thicker, set both to 10 and click 'Okay,' then go back to Effects > Object > Outline Object and do it again, playing with the sliders until the line is thick enough.

3) Once your white line is as thick as you want it, use the AA's Assistant plugin (which I think is also in the pyrochild pack, so you should have it) and soften up the edge of your white outline.

4) Now go to Effects > Object > Outline Object again and this time do the black line.

The attached finished product follows these directions.

this is what you need jjjoseph