Network install on Win7 throws error

I'm allocating an MSI of Paint.NET 3.5.4 to our network of 300+ machines (not all at once, but starting to get the ball rolling). We are starting to adopt Windows 7 and have built a few machines with Win7 on, however am finding that when Paint.NET installs on these (not installed locally, it gets the install files from a server through an automatic install) it throws the following error:

Paint.NET has detected that some important installation files are missing. Repairing this requires administrator priviledges.

After telling me about repairing, it then goes on to say..

The missing files are: Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable

On all computers, .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and the above VS2008 package are installed prior to Paint.NET. As I say, this is fully automated and not done by logging on to the computer and whilst we probably could get it to install if installing manually, this isn't the approach we want to take. This particular MSI package works fine on the Windows XP computers (even without the VS2008 package).

Could anyone shed some light? Thanks.

For reference, this was a custom made MSI file using Winstall LE that has worked fine on all previous versions of PDN for WinXP for some years now (I only do this to include custom effects in the package).

I decided to make an MSI using the /createmsi switch on the installer. This created the MSI for me but when I go to install, it says I must use the installer, even though this was an MSI created using the installer?

I'm really lost now - any help greatly appreciated!

Winstall LE or anything like that is completely unsupported. I have no idea why you would need to use that since Paint.NET supports AD/GPO deployment "natively."

/createMsi should work and will create MSIs that don't give an error message about needing to use the installer. It will install the correct version of the VC++ 2008 SP1 redistributable. The one on the MS Download Center is an old version from before a stream of security updates that went out last year.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg