Want to update from V2.0 to V2.1

I am embarrassed to be the only one here with this problem :?

I have V2.0 installed and it works great for me. I saw on your website that an update was available, so downloaded and unzipped the V2.1b file. Now I am stymied on how to install the update.

The instructions in the src readme.txt require the use of a VERY expensive program -- "Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional", which of course, I don't have. However, the readme in the Programs folder gives different directions and says to place "dotnetfx.exe in this directory" and gives the URL for acquiring it from Microsoft.

It says, alternatively, I can place "any executable in here and name it dotnetfx.exe."

I'm afraid I don't know precisely what is meant by "any executable" and where is "here"?

If installing v2.1 is too difficult to explain in this forum, perhaps I should just continue using v2.0 and forget the update.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Dorrie :)

You downloaded the source code. You want just the installer -- it's under 5mb. Here's a direct link: http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/files ... t_2_1b.msi

I highly recommend downloading the v2.2 Alpha 2, however. It has some really great new features and will even tell you when newer versions are available: http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/files ... Alpha2.exe

Thank you, Mr. Brewster, for your reply!

I have taken your advice and downloaded the V2.2 Alpha 2. Without your recommendation, I wouldn't have presumed to be knowledgeable enough to use an alpha version of any application; I thought that was just for the most experienced computer users. I am anxious now to try it out and see the new features for myself!

One more question, though -- before I click on the exe file, am I supposed to uninstall the V2.0 from my computer?

Thank you, again, for your help -- it is appreciated!

Dorrie :D

Archived