High vs. Low Resolution

Jexter

Hello,

I have a quick question about high vs. low resolution images. I understand the difference (I think, i.e. # pixels), but what I don't understand is how to make an image high resolution (i.e. to make it appear sharper and more clear).

For example, the system defaults to 96 pixels, but wouldn't that be considered low resolution?

I would like to be able to create images in as high a resolution as possible.

I would also like to import images and improve the resolution.

And, something I really need help with is sharpening the look of text. My text always seems blurry.

Anyway, I'm wondering if someone can help me with these things?

Many thanks in advance!

1) Your resolution is essentially a moot point when dealing with images for web. See, while still on a computer, the images are just regular pixels, no more, no less. It displays one pixel per pixel when it shows on the screen. Resolution really only matters in print, where yes, 96 dpi would be considered "low-resolution" and look fairly bad.

2) Can you sharpen images? Yes. Effects > Photo > Sharpen. But it's not like CSI where you can say "Enhance!" and it goes from being blocky and grainy to being perfectly clear so you can read a license plate from fifty miles away. That is Hollywood myth.

3) Your text can be sharper if you play with the Anti-Aliasing and Smoothing settings in the text tool. But it looks really bad if you turn Anti-Aliasing off, so I don't recommend it.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thank you, David.Atwell!

That helps a great deal.

I had to create a poster for work. I found some images online and copied them into PaintNet to create the poster - which I did end up printing. They got a little blurry.

When I copy the images into PaintNet, is there a way to change the resolution to high resolution for printing purposes? For example, in the resize menu, there is a field for changing the number of pixels. If I change the a number to a higher number, does it help?

Related to this would be if I created an image myself in PaintNet that I needed to print out later. Should I change the number of pixels before beginning?

If you create the image from scratch, yes, it would help. But if you use an image you found online, it will stay blurry - the pixels you have are all you can use. Find bigger images. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.