seamless texture for Sketchup

Curmudgeon,

I will have photos of siding and roofing. I am told however, I need to create the seamless textures from my photos outside of Sketchup, using a photo editor like Photoshop, that's why I'm here at paint.net.

In other words, I need to clean up the photo so, when it's tiled in SU it will tile seamlessly. Can you tell me where and how to start?

Tim

do you have some photos as examples already? if so, post one on up, and we can look.

in the meantime, you can download and install the plugin's I mentioned earlier, by downloading the plugin's, and dropping the .dll files into the effects folder in your Paint.NET folder. Click here if you are unsure how

just do a search for the plugins and it should show the proper threads

Curmudgeon,

I've taken some photos but, not quite the results I wanted. Let's give it a shot and maybe we can make some improvements in the process of editing.

Tim

P. S. Just tried to attach and got message "file too large'. I've got two photo's 531 Kb and 528 Kb. What do you suggest?

Curmudgeon,

I've done some downloading. Can you help me sort through what I've got so, I can throw some of this away. Here's what I've done:

download paint.net to desktop

extracted all

located paint.net in Docunents and Settings

moved paint.net to Program Files

dbl. clicked paint.net

clicked on Run

ran install wizard

successfully installed

could not find where installed

did search to find all paint.net folders

I now have numerous paint.net folders. What can I throw away? Paint.NET folder in the Program Files directory appears to be the unzipped file with the Effects folder. Can I delete everything else?

I've attached the search results.

Will download Madjik, etc. once we sort through this. I've got the photos on the hosting site, ready to attach.

Thanks,

Tim

22829_a04d6f54d381360a3a42d3fc9d92fcaa

Perhaps someone else who still uses XP can answer, as Vista on my computer looks completely different.

I would assue you no longer need the compressed file, nor the Paint.NET 3.36 application file in your documents & settings folder. The Paint.NET 3.36 application file in Program Files needs to stay, as well as the other 2 listings in the Program Files folder. You've got several shortcuts...some to the forums, and some to the application. You can decide which ones you want to keep of those.

Curmudgeon,

I'm looking for the Tile Image plugin you mentioned. I found Madjik here:

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

but, don't know how to find Tile Image. I've already downloaded the Madjik file to the Effects folder but, not sure if I still need Tile Image. Paint.net is installed and the photos are ready to download.

These are the photos:

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj40 ... ing005.jpg

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj40 ... ing020.jpg

Tim

The Tile Image plugin I mentioned is part of Curtis Black's package here: http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22521

Do the textures need to be a certain size or file type for the Sketchup software?

When taking pictures you intend on making into textures, make sure the lighting is adequate and consistent across the entire field of view. Also, it's best if you are perpendicular to the object so the perspective doesn't change (I.E. widening of the siding at one end).

Using one of your pictures, I created a rectangular selection, and then used the Tile Image plugin, and then cropped to the selection, and this is what I got:

11001_d75cbc73195380965992d4429aeba193

Curmudgeon,

With what you had to work with, you've done more than I had hoped for. I was aware, after taking the shots, that I had distortion (ballooning) at the center of the image from being too close and the shadows between the siding were weak but, these were the things I was hoping to learn to adjust. This is a borrowed digital camera, which I'm attempting to learn to shoot with in manual mode (my more accustomed mode).

In answer to your question re: size and file type, I don't think size is an issue and .jpg is right.

Are you able to walk me through the seamless tiling so, at least, I can seamlessly tile an image? If this is more instruction than you had anticipated giving, I undersand. Is there any online instruction available at this site or any other?

Thanks,

Tim

For this texture, I used the SketchupSiding005 which TD88 had linked to.

I began by using rectangle select, choosing a portion which was relatively straight, with even lighting. I selected from just above one piece of siding down to nearly the bottom of another.

texture1.jpg

Next, I ran the Tile Image plugin with the settings shown.

texture2.jpg

Then, I cropped to selection :Crop:. Do this after you're happy with the results of the tiling. I also resized it to a size I liked. Up to you if you want to resize it or not.

Next, as I wasn't happy with the darkness of the siding seams, I duplicated the layer, and set the top layer blend mode to "Darken". Blend modes of Multiply, Color Burn, or Darken all would work, providing a similar result. Then merge the layer down.

texture3.jpg

Finally, you can play with the different adjustment tools, changing the brightness/contrast, hue, levels, etc. to your liking. Have Fun!

Curmudgeon,

Here's my first attempt. I didn't follow your steps after the Crop Image. Wasn't sure what the layering thing was. Can you explain a little more about duplicating the layer and setting the top layer to Darken? When I duplicate the layer, what am I duplicating?

Thanks for the direction, so far.

Tim

22829_54ab474e0738756cc05bf2e901ce26e6