Gradient using an Oval not Circle

Is there a way to create a gradient effect using an oval instead of a circle?

I would like to use a gradient to put focus on people in a photo, but a circle is not a suitable highlighter.

Can anyone suggest a technique to create this, or perhaps a plug-in that already exists to do it (as I cannot find one)?

There's no native way, and no plugin to my knowledge. But you could easily do it by selecting an area of the canvas equal to the short width of the oval, running a circular gradient, and then using the Move Pixels tool to stretch it into an oval.

Does this help?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

what if you added a layer select your oval and use BoltBaits Bevel with both colors selected the same. ie both white than run on about a 40 or 50 that might work you could then dial down the opacity if required.

also have you looked at Madjiks plugin gradiant blur? that could be another option depending on exactly what it is you are doing.

ciao

OMA