I can't paint or draw on a saved image

Go to solution Solved by Disk4mat,

So am quite new to paint.net, and as hard as i try i can not edit my friends paint.net file they sent me. And i can't really edit my own saved files either so if someone here could help me with that it would be nice. And the image has layers not sure if that changes anything.

The layers could be where you are getting stuck. One layer might be selected and you are trying to draw / edit on a different layer. But some questions are: Are you trying to apply an effect? Which paint tool are you using that you are having the problem with (fill, brush, selection tool etc)?

You have to imagine you are asking a blind person for help. We cant see what you are working with or doing. So we have to ask questions and at times take a good guess. If you could upload the file some place so we can have a look and then you can describe what you want to do, we could take you thru the steps.

• Upvote 1

Hi @falloutcan7 welcome to the forum.

You are going to have to explain to us exactly what you mean by "as hard as i try i can not edit my friends paint.net file".

Do you mean that you don't understand how to use the tools?

And what do you mean by "And i can't really edit my own saved files either"

6 hours ago, falloutcan7 said:

So am quite new to paint.net, and as hard as i try i can not edit my friends paint.net file they sent me. And i can't really edit my own saved files either so if someone here could help me with that it would be nice. And the image has layers not sure if that changes anything.

You sound very new, so here's how paint.net works: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MainWindow.html
mainwindow.png
Your image is centered (#5)
The main menu is at the top (#2)
Tools and your selected tool are at left (#6)
Tool options for the selected tool are below main menu (#3)

The tooltip at the bottom tells you how to use your selected tool and which keys you can hold down to make it do different things (#10). This one is super important when you're learning how to use paint.net!

Try each tool to see what it does. Read about it in the documentation if you're curious! You can find answers to everything there, but it can be a bit too comprehensive if you're completely new. Feel free to look up Youtube stuff, too. I'm sure there's some tutorials on paint.net out there. Have fun!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Disk4mat said:

The layers could be where you are getting stuck. One layer might be selected and you are trying to draw / edit on a different layer. But some questions are: Are you trying to apply an effect? Which paint tool are you using that you are having the problem with (fill, brush, selection tool etc)?

You have to imagine you are asking a blind person for help. We cant see what you are working with or doing. So we have to ask questions and at times take a good guess. If you could upload the file some place so we can have a look and then you can describe what you want to do, we could take you thru the steps.

Yea, sorry for being so vague. Here's a video that sums up what the problem is. https://youtu.be/9LDZENz2EZU 

12 minutes ago, falloutcan7 said:

Yea, sorry for being so vague. Here's a video that sums up what the problem is. https://youtu.be/9LDZENz2EZU 

OK, you're trying to draw in the Sky Background layer which is covered above by the layer right above it labeled "Background".

If you want to see what you're drawing, you need to draw on a layer that is above all the other layers.

You might want to read this: Blend Modes (getpaint.net) which explains how layers work.

• Upvote 1

• Solution

Yeah pretty much @BoltBait layed it out with some good information. If you want to edit/draw on the sky layer you will have to move it to the top or create a new layer (at the top). Any layer above the sky layer will hide what you are drawing.

In your video I also noticed you using the color picker tool trying to get the blue and green. Since you are just clicking to sample the color, you are actually sampling the currently selected layer's color. Which is transparent. Thats why the resulting color in the color window looks like a black fading to nothing.

Solution.... Hold down the CTRL key while clicking the mouse. This will sample the "merged" color (what you see) and you'll get the color that way.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BoltBait said:

You might want to read this: Blend Modes (getpaint.net) which explains how layers work.

And Working with Layers which shows step by step how to use layers.

It's a good idea to work your way through all the well written paint.net Documentation. You will learn a lot and will avoid the need to ask questions about basic features, post videos, etc.

Ways to find the Documentation are:

a) In paint.net, click the :Help: icon top right and select Documentation

b) In paint.net press the shortcut key F1

c) Go to https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/