Making textures in paint.net

Urnemanden

Hello! :D

Only a week or 2 ago i began making my own textures. Here is a look:

Texture%20Collection.png

All of them are created from scratch, and only a little bit real photo editing for roughness and shape has been used. But actually i didnt just want to upload the textures i made and show you them only, - I would like to know if you got any tips or tricks for making textures in Paint.NET, or if you tried/made any textures yourself in paint.NET. Please upload them and show me, eventually tell something about them. if you for an example made a sign with dirt on, then tell the world, how you made it dirty. :)

And as a start, i will begin telling about my own textures.

The banana leaf

BananaLeafThumb.png

This was the texture i made today. made the shape out of this picture, and then i filled :FillSelection: the shape with a green colour, wich i found from the original picture. Then i added a new layer :AddNewLayer: and made the Stem (look below) of the leaf, using the lasso selection & the gradient tool :GradientTool:

StilkThumb.png

To give the leaf some reality, i added some small stripes with the Line/Curve tool :LineCurveTool: , like there is on real leaves. After that, i used fragment blur and then i deleted all small lines that was outside the leaf.

BanLeafStripes.png

Then i edited some small details, to make it look more realistic, before i did the final step.

I Created a new image :FileNew: and then i copied the leaf shape with fill over to the new image. Then i selected the whole leaf :SelectAll: and used the Outline Selection tool.

OutlineBanLeaf.png

I added a new layer, and copied the original leaf over to the new layer, and then i selected the red outline on the old layer.

Then i selected the new layer, and used Gaussian Blur to give the leaf a soft outline. That was nearly all i think. :wink:

The snake plant leaf

SnakeThumb.png

This texture was the first one i ever made. I did in on quiet short time. This picture was what inspired me to make the texture. I made the shape myself with the line/Curve tool :LineCurveTool: and then i added some Bulge :Bulge: to it. Then i added a new layer, and copied the shape, hued :HueSaturation: it to Green. Then i used Gaussian blur to make it smaller and blurred, and at last, i added some roughness & light i made with the Alpha Mask tool. Later i added other details, to make give it different green variations.

Alpha.png

The cookie sign

CookieThumb.png

I made this texture for a racing track. The text in it is just an example text, wich he easily can change in the .pdn file. The sign was'nt hard to make, i started to make a square and then i made some kinds of drawings, and used effects on them, to make the square look dusty. For the Brown dust, i copied out some of the grass in this picture and then i used Black And White :BlackAndWhite: & Alpha Mask. Then i used Feather & several other effects, such as Silhuette to make it look brown instead of grey. And as final, i used Fragment to make small lines smaller.

DirtThumb.png

The palmtree leaf

PalmThumb.png

This was the 2nd texture i made. I made it because i needed a palmtree texture for a palmtree i made. But while i was making it, my computer frooze down, and then i didn't have the .pdn file anymore. :(

palmtree%20unreal%27.png

So there is the png with a white outline, wich i dont know how to get away. After making it, i tried to make something that looked like it, several times, but it never went out that well, as that texture you see above. I can send you the full sized one, if you may know how to fix it. :)

Ok. i think that was all of them :) . I hope this helped a lot, but if it didn't anyway, please post a textures you made or are making, so at least i can learn something :mrgreen:

I would like to know all this because i am not in the expert or advanced stage making things like textures. I can't make any cool signature for my self, so i just hope that i can become good in texturing and 3D.

Thank you for reading this quiet long topic :D

Moved to the pictorium. Please pay more attention in the future. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.