What Monitor was that on .....?

I run a four-monitor setup with Win11, and I cannot seem to get PDN to remember which monitor to use when I open it from the icon pinned on my Taskbar.  I have tried putting the icon on the Desktop instead, and that does not work either. In either case, PDN always opens on my PrimaryMonitor ("main display" in Win11-speak).

All my other apps/programs remember location just fine.  Yes, I have "Remember Window Locations" toggled in Settings-System-Display-MultipleDisplays.

Any ideas?

Edited by HankP

For me, Paint.NET opens on the monitor where it is launched from. I have it pinned to my task bar and my task bar is visible on all screens. 

I run 2 monitors at home and 3 at work--works the same both places.  Win 11.

This is actually one of my favorite features of Paint.NET.  I wish all programs would do this.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, BoltBait said:

For me, Paint.NET opens on the monitor where it is launched from. I have it pinned to my task bar and my task bar is visible on all screens. 

I run 2 monitors at home and 3 at work--works the same both places.  Win 11.

This is actually one of my favorite features of Paint.NET.  I wish all programs would do this.

Weird.  I have Win11 configured the same way, with the full Taskbar visible on all 4 screens.  No matter which of the 4 Taskbars I use, PDN always opens on the PrimaryMonitor.

ETA:

I did more research and troubleshooting, and I have found some strange results for PDN with multiple monitors.  I always run PDN in Fullscreen.  As such, it is always in Fullscreen when I close it.  It always opens in the PrimaryMonitor, the next time I run the program.

BUT my research led me to play with the Windows RestoreDown icon (top right of the window, second from the rightmost).  If I hit the RestoreDown icon (I had no idea that was the name of that Icon.  I have always internally just called it the FullscreenToggle) and thus run PDN in something LESS than Fullscreen, the result is different.  If I close PDN while it is running in a smaller (less than Fullscreen) Window, it remembers the last Monitor used and opens on that (and in the same size/location Window) the next time I open the program.

So, the rule seems to be "if you close PDN while running in Fullscreen, the next usage will open on the Primary Monitor, but if you close PDN while in something-less-than-Fullscreen, the location is remembered and used the next time you open PDN."

SO, if I want PDN to re-open in the correct Window (and not chase all over the screen with the cursor), the sequence at closing is:

WinKey-DownArrow (to reduce PDN to less-than-Fullscreen)

Alt-F4 (to close the program)

Then, when I open the program the next time, it is on the correct Monitor, but small, so:

WinKey-UpArrow (to return to Fullscreen)

You may not have solved my problem for me, but you got me thinking in the right direction.  Thanks.

Edited by HankP
  • Upvote 1