Import a File into an Existing Layer

Go to solution Solved by BoltBait,

OK, to start, I do know how to import a file into a PDN document ... Alt-Layers-ImportFromFile.

The problem is that I want to Import into an EXISTING Layer, and this function Imports as a NEW Layer ... at the very top of the list.  If I have several pages of layers (which I usually do), and I am working on something near the bottom, it is a real hassle to go to the top of the LayersList, then drag that new Layer to the spot above the Layer where I am working, and to then Merge the new Layer into the existing Layer.

Is there a way to Import a file directly into the active Layer?  Alternatively, is there a way to tell PDN to import a new Layer adjacent to the active Layer, rather than at the top of the LayerList?

It probably does not matter, but the reason for this is that I am working on a series of several dozen maps.  I have created separate files for the various map Symbology (e.g. towns, cities, military posts, capitals, etc.), put them all in a Symbols Folder, and put that Folder on the QuickAccess list.  Thus, in a couple of keystrokes, I am ready to double-click the Symbol that I want to add to the map.  The Layer that holds (for example) the Communities (hamlets, towns, cities, capitals, etc.) must be in the very middle of the LayerList for everything to display properly.  Otherwise, I could just move that Layer to the top of the LayerList while adding symbols, do the Merge at the top of the List and then move the Community Layer back to where it belongs.  It would be SO much easier, if there is a way to just Import the file directly into the active Layer.

Thx.

Edited by HankP

I do have your Pack installed (great stuff, BTW, thanks), and that feature gets me 90% of what I want.  Ideally, you could import directly into the target Layer, and the imported file would be selected and easy to move to the proper place.  Instead, if you import into the target Layer, it pastes into the entire layer, and the user must go to the import, select it, and then place it.  Your suggestion to just create a new Layer adjacent to the active Layer and use your plugin into THAT layer works fine. Place the data where you want it using the new Layer, and then Merge.  VOILA!

Odd thing, though.  It always seems to insert the new file at the very center of the active Layer, which makes sense given that it is a "Fill" tool.  Still a bit of a hassle to find and move it if I am working away from the physical center of the Canvas, but 99% better than all the hoops I was having to use before seeing your post.

Thanks so much!

Edited by HankP

Bolt, I had not made a lot of use of this plugin until this thread, but I am LOVING it.

I just used the part of it that let's you import the Clipboard into an existing Layer of a PDN document. In particular, I used the feature that let's you scale the material on the Clipboard for Import, so that you don't have to copy the Clipboard into a new file, resize the file and then move it to the destination.

Too Cool.