How do I clear out the disk space used after expanding the canvas size in Paint.NET?

So you know how after you expand a canvas size in Paint.NET it says the "New size:(size after you expand canvas size)" right?

Now I didn't pay much attention to this until now. I'm working on a project and I need to expand my canvas size from 5504x4124 to 6500x4872

It says the new size is going to be 3.2 GB. Turns out my disk wasn't available for that size expansion.

When i go check how many bytes I have left on my disk I have around 200 mb left.

I go ahead and check the file save for my project and it says the size for my project is 18.4 mb. I am very confused to what's going on.

Now I'm suspecting the reason why my C disk is running low is because of my previous projects which requires large canvas size, it takes up all the space for creating such a big canvas size.

If there is any way to delete/clear out the disk space used after expanding the canvas size in Paint.NET please let me know.

I would gladly appreciate any help!

Screenshot 2024-01-13 214139.png

Screenshot 2024-01-13 214224.png

1 hour ago, cheeza88 said:

When i go check how many bytes I have left on my disk I have around 200 mb left

If you really have have just 200MB left on your disk, then this is not a paint.net problem. You have a full disk and you need to find large/unwanted files and delete them to make space.

I would expect Windows to be warning you that you have run out of disk space. I would expect a lot of stuff to not be working reliably.

Have you emptied the Recycle Bin to free space?

One way to find large files:

• Open File Explorer
  • Go to your Documents folder
  • View Details
  • Type *.* in the Search field (all files, including those in subfolders will be listed)
  • Click on the heading of the Size column to sort by size
  • Delete what you don't need

Then type Disk Clean Up in the Start menu/Windows search field. Use it to delete temporary files and empty the Recycle Bin again.

1 hour ago, cheeza88 said:

It says the new size is going to be 3.2 GB.

I go ahead and check the file save for my project and it says the size for my project is 18.4 mb. I am very confused to what's going on.

The 3.2GB is the size of your image, including all layers, in memory.

18.4MB is the size of the saved file on disk based on your chosen format (eg. JPG)

4 hours ago, cheeza88 said:

If there is any way to delete/clear out the disk space used after expanding the canvas size in Paint.NET please let me know.

You're talking about the files that store the history entries.

You can always save your image, close it, and then re-open it (File -> Open Recent -> first item, which you can do quickly by typing Alt+F, R, 1)

Obviously this clears your undo history, but it's how you do it.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg