Custom default canvas size

Hey there! I'm new to this forum, but I've been using paint.net for a while.
I just had a question/suggestion to make for the program

As that good artist I am (well not that much, i'm always learning) sometimes I like to use custom aspect ratio for the canvas height and width (e.g. 1:1, 800x800 [px])
But it "bothers" me sometimes to go and click "New" and there type the new height and width after opening the program. And I been looking for a setting where I can set a Default size of the canvas as I open paint.net (e.g. 1:1, 800x800 [px] that differs with default 4:3 800x600 [px]) and I haven't found it, like there it is to set all tool parameters (brush, shapes, text) but not canvas size...
(Version v5.0.12)

I thought to suggest to make an optional setting for making the "New" window to appear when you open Paint.net, this one:

image.png.d5ac00531f6f76f961bcd52a980bb078.png
And/or a setting, (or maybe is there and im blind) to change the default canvas size from 800x600 px to 800x800 px for example...
And also I would like to suggest an switch/setting, where you allow/disallow the canvas size setting to change as the picture in clipboard, you know, that size-matching thing...

As I am writing this I have read that you can create templates and open them and then saving as the project you desire... But I feel those workarounds like a bit longer path you take, while you can "make" shorter and dynamic ones... I am just making a suggestion and I want to know your opinion...

Nothing, just that...

Welcome @b3njam7n

As you will have discovered while searching, this topic has been discussed several times before.
@Rick Brewster made it clear in a response earlier this year that he will not be changing the current behaviour.

2 hours ago, b3njam7n said:

As I am writing this I have read that you can create templates and open them and then saving as the project you desire...

Creating template files is the best way to set default sizes.

If you haven't done so already, please see my answers here https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/123803-how-can-i-change-my-standard-ratio

Setting the template files Readonly to avoid overwriting and Pinning them to paint.net's 'Recently used' menu on the taskbar makes access quick and easy.

• Thanks 1