Paint.net JPG image no longer opens on various smart TVs

JLE

For long years I've been generating JPG images and displaying them on TVs as slideshow .  

With recent updates,  all TVs are complaining "UNSUPPORTED format" for all new jpgs .

To verify it's a new bad feature (or introduced bug),  I am able to still view all images

generated 2 years ago by Paint.net.

Someone down the road broke compatibility with 4 year old smart TVs ,  of various brands. 

Basically,  Save-As -- jpg backward compatibility is broken  . 

If I did SCREENSHOT on PC then move file to TV,  it opens but with poor resolution .

Tomorrow, I'll try editing the jpg output with Microsoft paint,  hopefully it will fix 

the broken image .   This might be a good workaround.  As a Software Engineer,

I must try workarounds.  :)

Has anyone run into this problem ?  

1 hour ago, JLE said:

With recent updates, all TVs are complaining "UNSUPPORTED format" for all new jpgs .

For info: I've just tried saving a new jpg image using paint.net 5.0.12. It displays OK on my 2022 and 2012 LG smart TVs.

Someone down the road broke compatibility with 4 year old smart TVs, of various brands. 

Basically,  Save-As -- jpg backward compatibility is broken. 

That's a rather sweeping statement.

Can you zip and upload somewhere one of your old working images and one of the new 'broken' ones and post the link please?

The JPEG support in Paint.NET has not been changed in quite awhile, I highly doubt Paint.NET is the culprit here.

We need examples of the files that are broken and/or working. There is probably something simpler going on here -- for instance, often people save the file with the wrong extension (or the wrong type, depending on your perspective). It's a simple fix if that's the case.

We also need to know specifically which TVs you are trying to load these images on. "4 year old smart TVs" isn't specific enough.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg