Changing a specific color to transparent

Go to solution Solved by BoltBait,

I've been working on this for about three hours. It seems like it should be an easy, basic function of the program. I have a scanned, black-and-white image of a page of text. I want to remove the white background, leaving the black text on a transparent background. I have tried both the Recolor and Eraser tools, but am getting nowhere. For Recolor, I have tried both Sampling modes and several Tolerance settings.  For both tools, I have tried several settings of Hardness and Spacing.

I have also searched this forum and the online documentation, but have not found a solution. When I started, I expected this to take about 20 seconds. Clearly, I am missing something. What is it?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, EarlMorton said:

I was not aware of the Magic Wand's Flood mode.

Take a look at the Documentation here: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MagicWand.html.  Note the use of Shift to temporarily enable Global flood mode, the use of the different Selection Modes, and the technique of inverting a selection.

It's worth setting aside a little time each day to work your way through all the Documentation and to try out all the examples shown so that what you read sticks in your mind.

It saves a lot of time in the long run and improves your technique.