How to create this effect?

Go to solution Solved by frio,

• Solution

Assuming you have a separated, filled lineart figure (black lines, white fill, transparent surroundings) and you want the "plasma/flame" look, something like this might work:

1) Put figure on its own layer.

2) Duplicate figure layer.

3) Select topmost copy, set blend mode to multiply in layer properties. This will keep the lineart intact and on top of the colors.

4) Choose desired "plasma" colors in color palette. Effects->Render->Clouds, choose small scale, high-ish roughness.

5) Effects->Noise->Median, low radius (2-3), percentage 33 or so. Smothers the clouds.

6) Effects->Blurs->Surface blur. Further smothers the clouds.

7) Duplicate color layer. Select the bottom copy. Effects->Blurs->Zoom Blur, point it below the star, choose a length of your liking. Pushes the copy of the colors outside the figure.

8 ) Effects->Blurs->Gaussian blur to taste.

9)  Adjustments->Hue/Saturation, lower saturation and brightness to taste.

star.png.6547e5106cfc1dbc949fe7a77561ce55.png

Edited by frio
  • Like 2

And here is a tutorial which maybe of help.  when you have your final image done, duplicate it and, on the bottom one, use Gaussian Blur and move accordingly.

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

13 hours ago, frio said:

Assuming you have a separated, filled lineart figure (black lines, white fill, transparent surroundings) and you want the "plasma/flame" look, something like this might work:

1) Put figure on its own layer.

2) Duplicate figure layer.

3) Select topmost copy, set blend mode to multiply in layer properties. This will keep the lineart intact and on top of the colors.

4) Choose desired "plasma" colors in color palette. Effects->Render->Clouds, choose small scale, high-ish roughness.

5) Effects->Noise->Median, low radius (2-3), percentage 33 or so. Smothers the clouds.

6) Effects->Blurs->Surface blur. Further smothers the clouds.

7) Duplicate color layer. Select the bottom copy. Effects->Blurs->Zoom Blur, point it below the star, choose a length of your liking. Pushes the copy of the colors outside the figure.

8 ) Effects->Blurs->Gaussian blur to taste.

9)  Adjustments->Hue/Saturation, lower saturation and brightness to taste.

star.png.6547e5106cfc1dbc949fe7a77561ce55.png

That really helped, thanks!

9 hours ago, Pixey said:

And here is a tutorial which maybe of help.  when you have your final image done, duplicate it and, on the bottom one, use Gaussian Blur and move accordingly.

Neat, this is also useful! Thanks

Edited by whiplash777
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, whiplash777 said:

That really helped, thanks!

Glad to hear that, despite that I noticed an important point about the render->clouds part: I forgot to mention to use render mode: "in". That mode fills opaque areas only with the clouds, and leaves transparent spots intact, but you can work around that in other ways as well. Figured I'd mention it anyway for posterity.

• Like 1