Small bug report

Small bug/inconvenience: if you select something, cycle the select mode with M, change the size of the selection rectangle, switch back to resize selection with M, and then hold SHIFT to maintain the ratio while resizing the selection, it seems to keep the ratio of the previous rectangle and "stretches" the selection in an undesired way, while it should use the ratio of the new selection rectangle.

I guess my explanation is clear enough, I should do a video maybe. Not sure if there is an existing bug report.

Also I am still waiting for a list of most often used font (feature already requested), and I also really wish it was possible to have a wrap option with text (not requested yet?).

No, this is not my real name.

I've split this off from the 5.0.6 release post. Please just create a new post, don't just staple random bug reports to the release post unless you're pretty sure it's new for that release

I don't think what you're reporting is a bug. I can elaborate later if you're interested (I'm in the middle of something else right now)

1 hour ago, jean jean delabrouette said:

Also I am still waiting for a list of most often used font (feature already requested)

Ok? I never said anything about getting to this soon or anything. You don't need to nag me about stuff, I'm not your employee

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

1 hour ago, Rick Brewster said:

I don't think what you're reporting is a bug. I can elaborate later if you're interested

I've tripped over what the OP is describing a few times and the behaviour has surprised me. The selection rectangle I ended up with was different from what I was expecting, causing me to have to Undo and start again.

I'm interested in understanding the rationale for the current behaviour, please.

If it's the thing I'm thinking of, it's when you draw a selection, then modify it, and then hold Shift to constrain the selection. The aspect ratio is locked to what it was when you first drew the selection, not when you first used constrain selection.

The reason for this is that if the current aspect ratio is used then it will be constantly losing precision. Imagine a 16x9 aspect ratio, drawn to a size of 1600x900. When you constrain it to some smaller size, there will usually be rounding errors because the selection must be an integer width/height. These errors would continue compounding and eventually you'd have a very obviously not-16x9 aspect ratio. For example, 1600x900 resized to 1500 width would have a height of 843.75 which must be rounded to either 843 or 844 pixels, which is not 16x9. So I chose to make sure that only the original aspect ratio was used.

This may be addressable now, since this was a constraint imposed by the limitations of the old pre-4.0 history system. I haven't looked to see if the newer system can correctly carry around the right information to make this work better.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thanks for the clear explanation; I understand why you implemented it that way.

If you do choose to address it, here's a real example that I have run into several times that leads to undesirable and confusing behaviour...

The aim is to select a rectangular area within a large image, aligning the selection precisely with some features in the image, and then scale the selected region while preserving its aspect ratio:

1. Press S

2. On the zoomed out image Click & Drag to select the approximate region

3. Press MM

4. Zoom in on the top left corner of the selection and move the nub onto the desired feature

5. Zoom out then in on the bottom right corner the selection and move the nub onto the desired feature

6. Press M

7. Hold down Shift and press the mouse button to grab the bottom right nub to scale the selected image region

At 7, my carefully selected area jumps to the size and aspect ratio of the approximate area selected at step 2, which is not what I wanted to happen.

I know that I can work around this, for example by doing a Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C then Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V to copy & paste the selection before step 6 but it feels unintuitive that the selection snaps to the initial approximate area instead of staying at the final position and size I set using Move Selection.