OneNote has taken over my paint.net

Von G

Hi,

As far as I'm aware, I've not changed anything on my computer and there's not been any updates.  Last week, I was able to 'save as' to a jpeg etc. and open up in a folder on my desktop.  This week my 'save as' is going to one note and reverting to local disk.  When I try to change it to a folder on my desktop, it's coming up as a blank file.

I've removed OneNote (Windows 10) by a.  typing in a code in mswindows and b. using the 'not available' drop down in change programme in the uninstall programme section of windows and rebooting.  Both have not worked and now it will save as a blank file in a folder.

I also use Affinity Designer and it is working perfectly and exporting to jpeg as per normal.

Any thoughts on what I can try next?  I love using paint net for certain things and would miss it.

• 10 months later...

Last week I found I had the EXACT same problem you discovered.

I've never (knowingly) downloaded Onenote, or activated it, or made any changes to Paint.net

I just started seeing the print function of Paint.net getting hijacked by Onenote, a program I still have no idea what it's used for.

Basically, you have either (1) uninstall OneNote or (2) deactivate it from Microsoft Office.

For me (Windows 7), this took the following:

1) Click on [Start] Button

2) Select [Control Panel]

3) Click on 'Uninstall a Program'

A list of all programs on your PC appears

4) Right-click on your version of MS-Office

5) Select 'Change'

6) Select 'Add or Remove Features'

7) Click the [Continue] Button]

A menu of all possible features of MS-Office appears

8.) Click on pull-down button [V] to the right of OneNote -- NOT the expand button [X] to its left

9) Click on [Not Available]

10) Click the [Continue] Button

MS-Office will re-configure itself, which may well take several minutes.

11) Click the [Close] Button.

12) Bring up a program in MS-Office.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-disable-microsoft-onenote

is where I learned this.