Image with transparent background when copied to layer with white background keeps removing the white from the layer

Forgive me if this is a stupid question/has already been answered. I tried to search for it, but I couldn't find what I was looking for so I just figured I would create a post about it.

I am trying to put an image of some music notes onto a blank white background. I opened a new white layer and then opened the music notes which have a transparent background. When I try to copy the notes and paste them onto the white background, instead of the notes going onto the white background, it removes the white and replaces it with the "transparent" checkered texture.  I've tried multiple times, and I can't get just the notes themselves to copy and paste. I'm sure the solution is simple and I'm just a dummy, but some help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! 

• 5 weeks later...

I have the reverse question--how can I change the white background of an image to make it transparent? Can I select all the white in the image and delete it? I'm thinking there is a simple way to do this but I can't figure it out!

ETA: Nevermind, I found the answer! Thank you Magic Wand!!

Edited by Alex PN Fan