Invisible alpha artifacts showing after masking BUG? need help!

Hi all,

I'm stuck with an alpha layer problem. Tried everything, no solution in sight. It looks like artifacts are generated inside Paint.net when editing and pop thru the alpha layer. Is this a bug or bad editing on my part???

Here are the details:

I'm making DDS files for a car racing game to "paint" numbers and sponsors on the car.

Here's what I do

1-Draw numbers / sponsors over a "transparent" background (which it isn't really as the alpha isn't set yet)

2-create a mask layer (pure white background + black silhouette of image of step 1)

3-Apply mask with the Mask plugin (inverted to keep the "painted" areas)

4-Export DDS to game (or PNG, same result)

What I get are black boxes around areas where I had numbers etc... on the car. I tried exporting to DDS with GIMP, same effect. (not related to DDS plugin). Suspected something with the game engine, but no.

What I found using the alpha mask plugin by unchecking the "invert mask" button is that the black box are indeed hidden within the original image. Even though I never "painted" them.

Nothing shows in PDN on the final image (when I apply the mask correctly as intended), but the black box are still there somehow and make the image unusable in-game. 

Even the color dropper doesn't "see" anything, all transparent area are picked up as alpha =0.

Only thing I could think of, is that the artifacts boxes look exactly like the selection box I used to edit and place my design elements (numbers, etc..) at step number 1. It sounds crazy but I have no other explanation. 

Does anyone have a workaround suggestion?  I did try to do the masking operation with GIMP, but I get exactly the same results. Seems really embeded in the "step 1" image.

4 hours ago, welshblue said:

Your masks are working fine for me but if you zoom in you'll see they're not as crisp as they could be.  There's some sort of blurring/ debris or is it transparency  on the outers of the shapes.

Could be something as simple as that ?  

mine_yours.jpg

When I'm making masks I always draw the shape on a new layer, then add a white layer underneath and merge - not use the paintbucket to fill the shape layer white.  Cleaner and sharper masks but not as important on basic shapes

My shapes are re-sized from a larger hi-resolution version which explains the blur I guess. My hypothesis is that the copy+resize box selection is the source of the "black box".

I think I have found a workaround by re-selecting individual elements instead of the entire layer to merge with a white layer.