Semi-OT: Windows 10 & Paint Dot Net

5 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Why not just install things as needed?  That's what I do with a new installation of an operating system.  Surely you don't need everything on day one.

My Windows 7 machine tells me I have 153 programs installed. There's no way I'd ever install all of those in one go. I install something when I need it.

And mine says I have 101, of which 25-30 are ones I need regularly -- the rest have to do with running printers or scanners, or Flash, or Adobe Acrobat... which I again need on a regular basis.

When you've got a project due is NOT the time to be trying to get the scanner to scan, the printer to print, or to be fighting to transfer notes taken on a phone to the main computer. Plus, MS decides something I use regularly isn't necessary (like Card File) and makes it not work under a new version -- and I have to find a substitute and transfer years of data to it.

To use the car analogy, my computer is a means of doing things. I expect it to do what the program says. I am not a mechanic, and I have no interest in tinkering under the hood, even though I am capable of doing so. (Yes, I've edited the register a time or two, but I don't like it.). I simply want to get in the car, stick the key in the ignition, start it, and drive.  There needs to be a compelling reason for me to change vehicles. (Like having an idiot rear-end my perfectly good car and total it, as happened six weeks ago.)

On 1/2/2018 at 5:51 AM, AndrewDavid said:

Hi @Marilynx

Welcome to the forum

It would take quite a long time to explain the benefits of Win10 through a forum. We are here to discuss Paint.Net. Having said that the best platform to run Paint.Net is on Win10 .

Having been around since the days of 8088's, I have seen the industry grow leaps and bounds. After years of staying with XP - when I finally upgraded my computer 18 months ago, it too came with WIN10. New hardware requires new software - especially at the operating system level. WiFi I believe is the driving force behind the hardware improvements (of which I never use). Many features of WIN10 can be turned off which results in the absence of these pop up messages I heard about earlier in the forum.

Think of it as "keeping up with the Jones". New hardware breeds new software that breeds new hardware. The vicious cycle of the IT industry. Thankfully Paint.Net provides an excellent platform for graphics manipulations as well as an excellent support resource here in the forum that even Microsoft can't come close to for supporting Win10. 

Memory - graphics - disk space are the benefits of the new computer to mention a few. For me there is no other operating system than Windows due to my collection of windows based software. Your computer should always be based on the software you use most. If it is Windows based - Win10 is the way to go.

Think of Paint.Net in the beginning and look how far it has progressed. Now Paint.Net is even in the Windows store. The future is all Windows.

Well that's my $.02 cents worth. B)

I've actually been kicking around here for about two years. My experience with computers dates back to punch cards. On an IBM 1130. My first home computer was an Osborne One, a C/PM machine. 64K of RAM, two 183K 5.25 floppy discs, and a 52 character B&W CRT screen. 

Yes, we're here to discuss PDN -- and that's the basis of my question. Rick is actually the only person I've encountered who says "Everyone should upgrade to Win 10."  So I was wondering why.

With the exception of a DOS word processor which I keep around to access old files because I keep finding ones I need to access, everything I do is Windows based. The Mac really doesn't have anything which interests me, except Scrivener, and now that there's a Windows version of Scrivener, even that is a non-starter.

I honestly can't speak to how far PDN has come. I've only been using it for two years. 

And then, you say that Win 10 is the only way to go.  I have 16 GB of memory,  250 GB free on the current drive.  A two terabyte solid state drive would be nice (although I haven't come across any larger than 500 GB), but do I actually need one?

On 1/2/2018 at 6:51 AM, Eli said:

I have been waiting to upgrade for several years already and I think I will wait a few more :)  But I am afraid that in 2020 Desktop PCs will be replaced with Laptops and I do not like Laptops. I love a big keyboard, a mouse and a large screen.

I'm using a laptop because it was handy when my last desktop's motherboard died. I have my favorite ergonomic keyboard and touchpad mouse hooked up to it. If I had the room, I'd have rather larger than the current 19" monitor.