Can't install Paint.net, says it stops working on startup

noobis

So I love this program so much, but one day when I tried to launch it just stopped responding as soon as I started the program. So I went ahead and uninstalled it, and tried to reinstall.. but was prompted with this:

xCHZZ8l.jpg

Ive been searching for answers for days.. and I havent found anything that actually helps. PLEASE, someone help! Thanks!

Edited by noobis

The version it shows for KernalBase.dll is a bit outdated (compared to the on my Win 7 system).

Can you confirm that your computer is up to date with Windows Update?

Also, please try running paint.net in Windows Safe Mode. That will tell us if some third-party software is interfering with paint.net.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

1 hour ago, toe_head2001 said:

The version it shows for KernalBase.dll is a bit outdated (compared to the on my Win 7 system).

Can you confirm that your computer is up to date with Windows Update?

Also, please try running paint.net in Windows Safe Mode. That will tell us if some third-party software is interfering with paint.net.

Alright so I actually do have a Windows Update, but sadly, it won't update, as it has an error.

ab8peIW.jpg

I tried to use the System Update Readiness Tool, but that did not fix it either.

Also, I tried running paint.net in Safe Mode by holding CTRL and double clicking it? That didn't seem to work either :(

33 minutes ago, noobis said:

Alright so I actually do have a Windows Update, but sadly, it won't update, as it has an error.

Is it just one update that fails? Are other Windows updates able to install?

31 minutes ago, noobis said:

Also, I tried running paint.net in Safe Mode by holding CTRL and double clicking it? That didn't seem to work either :(

Ctrl + Double Click??  Umm, where did you get that misinformation?

Sounds like you're unfamiliar with Windows Safe Mode. Here's a guide for Win 7:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-start-windows-7-in-safe-mode-2624540

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

4 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Is it just one update that fails? Are other Windows updates able to install?

Ctrl + Double Click??  Umm, where did you get that misinformation?

Sounds like you're unfamiliar with Windows Safe Mode. Here's a guide for Win 7:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-start-windows-7-in-safe-mode-2624540

Well, no other updates install, it seems. There's only one update that needs to be installed, and its the one that reads that error above.

29 minutes ago, noobis said:

Alright, so I tried to even open Windows Update in Safe Mode, but it simply wouldn't even open.

You used 'Safe Mode with Networking', right?  You can't download the updates without networking enabled.

Succeeded: 1 update

Failed: 1 update

So, other updates are in fact installing? Looks like just that one is failing.

Sorry, I'm sure what else you can try. This is more of an Windows issue, rather than a paint.net.

bp-sig.png

53 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

You used 'Safe Mode with Networking', right?  You can't download the updates without networking enabled.

So, other updates are in fact installing? Looks like just that one is failing.

Sorry, I'm sure what else you can try. This is more of an Windows issue, rather than a paint.net.

I did do that, yeah.

Well, this is a shame. Think there's a way to reset all windows applications or something? Maybe there's an alternate paint.net download?

1 minute ago, noobis said:

Think there's a way to reset all windows applications or something?

I don't understand what you mean by this.

2 minutes ago, noobis said:

Maybe there's an alternate paint.net download?

No, there is not.  Even if there was, the underlying is still with your installation of Windows.

bp-sig.png