How can I reduce the resolution without reducing the print size?

I have created some postcards for print, so made them at 300 DPI. Now I want to email them to a friend, but they are fairly large files, so I want to reduce them, but without making them smaller. If I change the DPI it automatically increases the print size. So, what I found is that I can do it in two steps. First, what I just said, then I resize again, but this time I reduce the print size back to what it was originally, ending up with a more light-weight image.

Is this the right way to do it, or is there a simpler way?

Sorry about asking such a stupid question! As soon as I went to save it, I realised my mistake. I just had to Save As and then pick 50% quality. Then I seem to have the same size, same number of pixels, but lower resolution.

Sorry about asking such a stupid question! As soon as I went to save it, I realised my mistake. I just had to Save As and then pick 50% quality. Then I seem to have the same size, same number of pixels, but lower resolution.

Not really. You have a lower quality and that's why the FILESIZE is smaller. Thats not a smaller resolution.

If you have an image of 3000 x 2000 pixels with a resolution of 96 dpi (normal on screen) then this means 31,25 x 20,83 inches or 79,38 x 52,92 centimeters. If you change the resolution to 300 dpi the result is an image with 10 x 6,67 inches / 25,40 x 16,93 centimeters on the SAME pixelsize.

Edited by IRON67