Fixes to "Add noise"

The "Add noise" effect is pretty "jumpy" for low amounts of noise, i.e. moving from 11 to 12 has a huge effect. It could be easily fixed by changing

int dev = this.intensity * this.intensity / 64;
                           dstPtr->R = Utility.ClampToByte(srcPtr->R + ((r * dev * 16 + 32768) >> 16));
                           dstPtr->G = Utility.ClampToByte(srcPtr->G + ((g * dev * 16 + 32768) >> 16));
                           dstPtr->B = Utility.ClampToByte(srcPtr->B + ((b * dev * 16 + 32768) >> 16));

into

int dev = this.intensity * this.intensity / 4;
                           dstPtr->R = Utility.ClampToByte(srcPtr->R + ((r * dev + 32768) >> 16));
                           dstPtr->G = Utility.ClampToByte(srcPtr->G + ((g * dev + 32768) >> 16));
                           dstPtr->B = Utility.ClampToByte(srcPtr->B + ((b * dev + 32768) >> 16));

Additionally I think the line

i = (1867 * r + 9618 * g + 4899 *  >> 14;

was probably meant to be

i = (4899 * r + 9618 * g + 1867 *  >> 14;

Cheers :D

This function is "add noise", not remove :) Basically, the first and most important fix is there to give better control on the amount of noise you add, while the second one is there to fix a minor bug in the coloration of the noise.

(and yes, there is a very tiny performance improvement, but that's not really the point)

This function is "add noise", not remove :) Basically, the first and most important fix is there to give better control on the amount of noise you add, while the second one is there to fix a minor bug in the coloration of the noise.

(and yes, there is a very tiny performance improvement, but that's not really the point)

Sorry my bad. :oops: my mind read 'remove' instead of 'add'...

Anyways why don't you make a plugin out of it? something Add Noise+ and add a few more features, like the color range of the noise or something...

It's just bugfixes, it doesn't belong in an extra plugin... I mean I'm just proposing a patch, take it or leave it, though I hardly see any reason for refusing it apart from backward compatibility -- and I don't think it's a concern for Paint.net. Or maybe this is not the right place to submit patches??

It's just bugfixes, it doesn't belong in an extra plugin... I mean I'm just proposing a patch, take it or leave it, though I hardly see any reason for refusing it apart from backward compatibility -- and I don't think it's a concern for Paint.net. Or maybe this is not the right place to submit patches??

No... What I mean is that if Rick wanted to include your upgrade to add noise, I dunno but I think he'd probably already answered, BUT the changes you made (I've been comparing the code, I know coding, just not much of C#) and it seems to be a nice thing to release as your own plugin, just add a few things not to be only some upgraded effect...

Just a though anyways...

• 4 weeks later...