Compositing Images in PDN?

Hello to all forum readers,

I am new to PDN but am generally finding my way around in it fairly well. A few years ago, I had a graphics expert prepare an image for web use. For this project, I sent him two .jpeg images. One was a black/white outline map of the State of Kentucky, and the other a .jpeg photo of the Kentucky River. Apparently using Photoshop, he was able to make a composite of the two images. He has since moved on and took the secret of how he did this with him. I am wondering if this effect can be achieved in PDN, and if so, how?

http://www.kineticnet.net/kyrcd/index.html

Thanks,

Charles Fleming

Gainesville, Florida

Yes, it is possible :)

You would have the picture that you want on the inside of the outline on a layer, then the outline on another layer :AddNewLayer: .

Use Magic Wand to select the outside of the outline, then switch to your other layer, and push delete. :)

Cloud.png

Hello Charles Fleming.

As an alternative method to iKid's, I would go about this in the following way:

- with a high tolerance (around 69%, nothing above otherwise 'bleeding' occurs), fill in the outline of Kentucky with the colour black;

• - if 'bleeding' does happen, and the selection escapes outwards and beyond the outline, then plug the leak with the Pencil tool or Paintbrush;

- save this new filled-outline as a PNG file, flattened if it has layers. This will become our alpha mask.

- using the Alpha Mask import plugin (found here) on the photograph of the Kentucky River, location the mask we just created through the Browse button;

- adjust the checkboxes if/where appropriate - you may need to reverse the mask.

-----

You will notice that the black areas of the mask removed its corresponding area on the photograph, whilst the white area kept its corresponding areas. This is ultimately reversed if you reverse the mask in-plugin.

For a brief outlook or a more in depth look, check out this tutorial, created by Crazy Man Dan, which explains the principles of alpha masking: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5276

You can try other methods for this, but I find that an alpha mask retains any anti-aliasing that comes with the created mask, which can be the smoothest of lines if done correctly.

Does this help?