Highlighted color picture with black & white background

I have read many of the posts here but didn't see anything on this subject. My question . . . is there a way to create a picture in Paint.net where the object in the picture is in color and all the rest of the picture is in black & white?

In other words, can I use Paint.net to manipulate a color picture by selecting one item in the picture some way to stay in color and converting everything else in the background to a black & white color?

If anyone knows how to do this I would be simply "overjoyed" to have a "step by step" procedure that a "newbie" like me could use to do this :)

Dan

Well, I can tell you quite quickly.

1. [*:cc119]Duplicate your layer
    [*:cc119]On the new layer, select the background and delete it (to cut the image from the background, look at this tutorial :
http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1100)
[*:cc119]Put the first layer in black & white (Layers > Settings > Desaturate or Black & White. I have Paint.net in French, so I can't assure you they're the right names)
[*:cc119]Tadaaam ! You should now have what you want

I hope I was clear enough. I don't have time right now to do a real tutorial, but I might if you need.

443e54916a971.jpg

Dear Litchi,

Thank you for the information and I will try and follow these directions but I have another follow-up question.

After I "create" my new color isolated picture with the black and white background how do I then save this as a new picture, preserving these editing changes that I have made to the original?

Dan

There is an easier way than what Litchi said.... there is absolutely no need to duplicate the layer....

Simply,

1. Select the bit you want in color with one of the select tools

2. Edit -> Invert Selection

3. Layers -> Adjustments -> Black & White

And after that, File -> Save As... and give it a new name so that you wont overwrite the original, or just use Save to overwrite.

sig.jpg.7f312affa740bae49243c4439bc4a244.jpg

There is an easier way than what Litchi said.... there is absolutely no need to dublicate the layer....

Simply,

1. Select the bit you want in color with one of the select tools

2. Edit -> Invert Selection

3. Layers -> Adjustments -> Black & White

And after that, File -> Save As... and give it a new name so that you wont overwrite the original, or just use Save to overwrite.

Well, that's easier, but I like to duplicate my layer in case I need it later ;)

443e54916a971.jpg

I was able to perform "part" of the process you both described, however I have been usuccessful in "isolating" the object in the picture that I wish to remain in color using the "tools" in Paint.net.

I tried the lasso and magic wand but could not capture the object and isolate all the edges of my target object whatsoever.

Can you guide me step by step how I can use these tools to completely isolate an object from the rest of the picture? In sounds easy to do, but for a newbie like me it isn't :?

Thanks,

Dan

Like said in the beggining of this topic : http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1100

Create a new layer. Turn off anti aliasing and select a brush size of 4 or 5.

Chose a flashy color (to see what you're doing). Use the line/curve tool if you have rough outlines or the brush if you have a more complicated outline.

Make sure you are on the good layer. Outline your subject on the outside (that's the long and difficult part).

Once you've finished the outline, pick the magic wand and select inside your flashy shape (be careful to be on the good layer). Invert the selction (Ctrl+i), move to your image layer (you should have duplicated it before, if not, do it now). Erase the selection on your image layer (Ctrl+x or Suppr). You have now 3 layer :

1. [*:36c13] Your original layer with background and subject. You will have to make it black and white or whatever you want to do with it.
    [*:36c13] The layer with only your subject.
    [*:36c13] The layer with the flashy outline which you should hide or remove (you should keep it until you have completely finished, just in case).

And now, you should have what you want.

I might do a complete tutorial about this if anybody needs (I like doing tutorials, it's fun ;) )

I hope you have understood everything and you have what you wanted :)

443e54916a971.jpg

I was only able to perform "part" of the process you both described and have been usuccessful in "isolating" the object in the picture that I wish to remain in color using the "tools" in Paint.net.

I tried the lasso and magic wand but could not capture the object I wanted to keep in color and isolate all the edges sucessfully.

Can one of you guide me step-by-step and describe how I can use these tools to completely isolate an object from the rest of the picture? It sounds easy to do, but for a newbie like me, it isn't :?

Thanks,

Dan