Has anyone found a solution to the install problem yet?

I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling framework.net, paint.net.

I have upgraded the Windows installer from MSoft to 3.1.

I have used registry cleaning software, Windows fault-finding software.

I still cannot get P.net 3.1 to install on my system.

I have scanned through the solutions provided by others, but they don't work for my system!

I would like to get another copy of v3.0, but where?

Failing that I will have to revert to my previous, pre paint.net, application.

Pity. But thats life I suppose!

I'm getting the same error as always. Failed to install. 'Problem with the installation contact your vendor etc'. Then I get a list of about 6 Paint.net registry errors.

I thought uninstalling and then reinstalling .NET framework should cure any problems with that!

If I am missing something your advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Edit. I located a version 3.0. But now that will not install either!!

I re-ran the .Net2 installer and carried out a 'repair'. Still can't install this software.

I have lost countless hours trying to get this application to install.

I have looked through the forum to find a solution without success.

I have downloaded and installed the latest version of framework.net3, Windows installer 3.1.

I have removed all previous versions of paint.net and its installer from the aborted attempts.

I have tried to install it in safe mode, but windows installer is not available in this mode!

All without success.

My logic tells me that "If the previous version installed OK with the framework2.net then that version and the version of framework were OK".

Things went 'tits-up' when I was forced to upgrade to version 3.01 to continue to use this application.

So. I have to conclude that someone has screwed-up with the programming of the new version! Another reply said it might be a problem with 'framework', but I don't think this is the case, otherwise why did it work perfectly well with the previous version of paint.net?

And as a bonus. It did something to my system that stops version 3 from installing now!

One thing that is guaranteed to put people off using it, is problems installing it. I have removed and reinstalled other applications just to see if there was a problem. Nope. Only with this one!

• 1 month later...

This is a long shot, but the symptoms are similar if you haven't installed the appropriate VC++ runtime

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&displaylang=en

(it also seems that stuff developed "post VS2005" SP1, needs a newer runtime, than stuff developed "pre VS2005 SP1"

@Rick: is this something required, and if so, the setup shim should probably take care of it if it doesn't already? (and if it does, then this whole post can be disregarded)

(x64: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=45&p=2&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&u=details.aspx%3ffamilyid%3d90548130-4468-4BBC-9673-D6ACABD5D13B%26displaylang%3den)

I'm not going to bother trying to install this application again, it just infuriates me.

The registry entries are the same as documented in other posts where the user's have had failed install attempts.

It seems there is a 'prohibited' access problem.

I received a reply stating that I could cure it if I could edit the registry. I dont have that ability.

Thanks for your interest