Not quite intuitive behaviour when dragging files

When dragging a file on PDN it asks whether to open the file or insert it as new layer into the current image. However, when having no image opened the option to insert the image as new layer is useless in that context.

To reproduce:

1. Start Paint.NET

2. Close the Untitled picture by using Ctrl-W or the close button on the tab bar.

3. No image should be open now. Drag an image file onto Paint.NET.

4. A dialog should appear, asking you whether to open the image or to insert it.

Expected behaviour:

The image should be opened, since the dialog makes no sense in that context.

Observed behaviour:

PDN fails gracefully by creating a new Untitled image and inserting the file as new layer if the option is selected. Opening images from that dialog works as expected and wanted.

What ?

Works the way it should to me. When starting Paint.NET it makes an image by default called background and that is why it asks if you like to add it as a layer or open it. When you open it the background will be replace by the image. When added as a layer it will do just that.

So I don't see this being a error.

PDN fails gracefully by creating a new Untitled image and inserting the file as new layer if the option is selected.
You will find that many users whilst dealing with a transparent PNG create a new layer, fill it white, then move it below their image in order to work better without the distraction of the chequerboard pattern, or to view the composition of their image as it would appear on the Internet, photo album, etc..

This so believed erroneous behaviour saves that time when said transparent PNG is opened directly to a canvasless PDN. I, for one, when then situation arises, revel in this application of the dialog. I might be alone in this, however.

I do see where you are coming from, that one extra click is clearly unnecessary in the circumstance, but does it really hinder your work-flow that much? I'm not goading you, I'm just curious to the motive of your request.