Comic Book Paneling?

I'm new to Paint.net. I was wondering if anyone could walk me thru step by step directions on how to Arrange panels on pages in comic book format and enter my images in each panel. Or if it's easier how I can layer individually scanned images as panels to make a comic book page layout. I'm very new to this and I need some help if possible please.

Life is what you make it.

not sure what you mean post a picture of what you want to acheive.

if you mean a template sort of thing I'd start with a grid the grid plug in is excellent and easy to use. modify to your size you want.

make the centres of each grid transparent and save as a png.

follow the make a filmstrip tutorial that gives an idea how to work with putting pictures in.

and of course its been at least 30 to 35 years since I picked up a comic book but that tutorial where they make the picture out of dots is real good not sure correct name for it but it would give some nice looking pictures. and from what I remember of comic books the pictures are sort of pop art looking.

I'm sure once you put up some sort of image of what you want toend up with, there will be other suggestions from more knowledgeable forum members. .

I think oma means the Halftone tutorial by barkbark00, yes?

Using the grid plugin would be perfect way to align your pictures and have the border around them, but I feel this to be little too neat. Oma's way is till a viable option though.

Personally, I would 'Layers > Import from file' each picture onto a new layer, keeping the original white background layer intact...

...arrange and resize with the Selection Tool (:RectangleSelectTool:) and the Move Pixel Tool (:MoveTool:) with the corner nubs (remember to hold Shift to keep original ratio) and make them slightly different sizes and positions. Make sure there is some white space in between each picture, preferably equal spacing as well...

... then on a new layer draw some speech bubbles which slightly overlap the boundaries...

...and finally on a new layer type your text.

This is how I would do it. If nothing makes sense just ask. But remember, oma's would also work so try both out.

Actually that is the step (layers) I'm having the most trouble with. HOW do you layer? I can 'import from file' and use the rectangle tool but it won't let me cut out the image. I right or left clic and it disappears (the shaded rectangle). Basically the layers thing is confusing to me. I need to know step by step what to click I guess. I'm lost.

You see the Layers window down in the bottom right? There should be a row of icons along the bottom of this window which look like so...

:AddNewLayer: - clicking this creates a new layer above all the other layers;

:Delete: - this deletes the currently selected layer;

:DuplicateLayer: - this one will duplicate the currently selected layer creating an exact copy, even name;

:MergeDown: - this will merge the currently selected layer down into the below layer;

:Up: - moves the current layer up;

:Down: - moves the current layer down, and finally...

:Properties: - displays the layer properties of the one highlighted, here you can change the opacity and the blend mode of that layer.

Any work you do will be on the layer that is selected at the time, unless you move onto a new layer - do so by left clicking on the desired layer or create a new one by the :AddNewLayer: icon. As for the rectangle select tool, don't right or left click for the steps I gave you, there is no need, but remember to strike the Esc key on your keyboard to deselect otherwise no tool will work outside of the selection - basically, if you want to edit or draw hit the Esc key.

I hope this will help you out.

there is good information on layers in the forum

basically its not too difficult I'll give you a scaled down version

open paint

you should have a small box over to the right that says layers if not go up to windows and click then click the layers

adding a new layer transparent layer use :AddNewLayer:

this button will :EditCopy: make a copy of the layer you already have

then next one will merge the top one with the one below.

remember the layer you wish to work on should be highlighted in blue on the small layer box and the small check boxes well they just let you know if that layer is currently visable or not.

before you save you need to flatten the image or you will only get the layer your are currently working on saved. to flatten image up along the top under image its the last one down at bottom of the drop down list

hope that helps

I'm really under the empression that this is not working just for me! In the right top corner it shows your layers so far. Well I tried clicking 'add new layer' and the original layer or image is still on the drawing board. Or sometimes my original image either disappears or the new image covers the original slightly. Do I use the 'move selection' tool to move the images? I even tried to minimize it like you would a window. i guess I should explain my steps or the steps I want to take. I've scanned my images and put them in a 'my Images' file. Some of the images I want to use for my panels are not cropped to the way I want them to look. Can I crop on Paint? It doesn't have a cropping tool. After I get the first image done then I would like to save or keep the cropped layer I just worked on and minimize it or at least move it to the side while I upload a new image. I want to Continue this step up to 9 times ( In a page with 9 panels 3 in a row as a basic layout ). So basically I want to cut and paste seperate images onto a blank page to create my seperate boxed panels individually in a row. Anyone wants to call me and walk me thru PM me at yahoo ID 'trulovas'. Or if you think you can explain it in text that is fine. My artwork is at http://www.angelfire.com/art3/newworldimaging/ So you can see my sketches. It sucks to be able to draw and not be able to format your scanned artwork properly. It's something I really want to learn. Is there classes I can enroll in? Is CAD any good for this kind of stuff? I draw freehand with pencil and paper and I want to make my own comic books but I wonder would Graphic Design help me to produce my drawings into the finished product?? Or at least a webcomic.

I'll try and keep these answers short as to not overload you with information, so I hope this way will help you.

Well I tried clicking 'add new layer' and the original layer or image is still on the drawing board.

It will be, layers are transparent so you will still see the image below it.

Or sometimes my original image either disappears or the new image covers the original slightly.

Yes it will. Layers are like boards stacked one on top of the other, place a picture on the top layer and it will cover the stuff that's underneath it. To remedy this, either crop (explained later) or move around with the move pixel tool until you can see what's underneath.

Do I use the 'move selection' tool to move the images?

Yes, once you have drawn a selection around the picture using the Rectangle Selection Tool (:RectangleSelectTool:) the you may move that selection/picture with the said tool.

I even tried to minimize it like you would a window.

Don't as you can't. The beauty of layers is that you can create a new layer and all the editing will be done on that one layer alone, if you wish to hide a layer temporarily untick the checkbox beside the layer you wish to hide; this will not delete it instead just hide it for the time being. You may tick it to bring it back in view. Ticked = visible, unticked = hidden.

Can I crop on Paint? It doesn't have a cropping tool. After I get the first image done then I would like to save or keep the cropped layer I just worked on...

Yes you can. Again, use the rectangle select tool to select the picture you wish to crop (this must be on a new canvas, not layer, so you can keep the size for your main work intact) the either press Ctrl + Shift + X on your keyboard or go to Image > Crop to Selection. Once happy, save it as normal and it will save the cropped work. As it is on it's own canvas it is away from your main piece, and when you want to use the cropped picture just select all (Ctrl + A or Edit > Select All), copy and paste onto a new layer on your main work.

...and minimize it or at least move it to the side while I upload a new image.

Explained above: own canvas = away from main project.

So basically I want to cut and paste seperate images onto a blank page to create my seperate boxed panels individually in a row.

Ok, this is a turn. Instead of importing each picture onto a new layer, go to File > Open, select all the pictures you want to use and click open. All the highlighted pictures will be opened into their own canvas' ready for you to edit individually. As you said, you may now copy and paste when each image is needed, but copying each image onto a new layer each time is still advised just to make it easier for you to move around if necessary.

It sucks to be able to draw and not be able to format your scanned artwork properly. It's something I really want to learn.

Once you get the hang of PDN it will be much, much easier and formatting pictures will be second nature.

Is there classes I can enroll in?

No, but I have heard someone say on the forums that they did catch their local library taking such a class, and there are some schools which are using this program for a teaching basis. So who knows, maybe in the future, but your best bet is to visit here where there is help on hand almost 24/7.

Is CAD any good for this kind of stuff?

It depends what you mean by CAD (I do know what it stands for, I'm a graphic design student), but if you're thinking of using the drawings made in PDN for some kind CAM then not without third party software - for instance you create the drawing here then export it to a CAM program and then continue that way, but in my experience CAM programs require certain aspects which PDN does not offer, such as vector drawings and so on.

I draw freehand with pencil and paper and I want to make my own comic books but I wonder would Graphic Design help me to produce my drawings into the finished product?? Or at least a webcomic.

Yes, graphic design will help immensely, especially PDN :D. Graphic design on the computer can give you the ability to change details - colour, shape etc. - without the need to spend more time or resources on redrawing, and with PDN's unlimited undo feature, it also gives the chance to revert back to previous states of the process. Computer graphic design can also give your art a more professional look (no offence, your pencil work is fabulous, I mean for use on the computer) and will also give you the ability to host it on the internet in a variety of ways and means - for example, a program like PDN could change the file format from a .jpg to .png in order to suit the host's wishes. So yes, computer graphic design will help you greatly in your webcomic quest.

I do hope this helps answer some of your woes, but if you need any more assistance don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks a lot I will try (actually I fooled around with it abit) your suggestions! My wife is on me to spend soem time with her so I gtta cook dinner and watch a movie with her so I'll let you know how I'm coming. Thanks bunches!

Okay now things are starting to make a lil more sense. I printed your directions out in the previous post and am following them step by step. Here's my new dilemma. When I change the image (rectangle and crop) It changes the whole canvas size too. I want my canvas to stay at 11*17'' and I size my images to fit in properly. But everytime I resize an image the original canvas (my blank page) resizes too. I don't want it to. i can fix up to two images side by side but when I try to + new layer and Import from file my previous work disappears (my white page with previous panels on it) I've gotten up to two images and when i try my third import the canvas disappears and it is no longer in my box on the top right either. Do I have to save after every layer? If so I have tried that as well and it still isn't working.That third images is always the 'monkey wrench'. Am I doing something wrong??? Help.

When I change the image (rectangle and crop) It changes the whole canvas size too. I want my canvas to stay at 11*17''...

You are resizing on a new canvas for each picture, aren't you? As I mentioned in my rather lengthy quoting post, I said that each cropping should be on a new canvas therefore not affecting your original working canvas, this is the only thing I can think of that's causing your problem.

So for example, you have your main canvas which is where all your pictures will be placed on, then each picture on a new canvas ready for you to crop then copy and paste onto your main canvas each as a new layer. Could this be where the problem lies?

As for your 'third picture makes everything disappear' problem, (and this is spur of the moment thinking, so correct me if I'm wrong) but do you see the small arrow shape (:MdiList:) which is to the left of all your canvases at the top right? Click this and a small drop-down will show all your active canvases open at the time, can you see you main work now? It should be at the top of the list, scroll if necessary.

If this isn't the problem, them maybe it's the actual third picture that is at fault, in which case could you describe the steps you take precisely and a description of the third picture carefully please (post a picture if possible), as this may help us help you better.

If I've missed what your point is, do tell or if I've made something too complicated again do tell.

Step by Step what I'm doing:

1st. Click Add New Layer. (over another image or blank canvas)

2nd Import from File. (find appropriate image on my file)

3rd Rectangle tool. (to crop my image the way I want it to look)

4th Crop to Selection. (to actually crop or cut out image after rectangle)

5th Save. Then I repeaT this for each image. But when I get to the second image the third overwrites the second one. I use the little scroll arrow in the box at top right and it only scrolls two images as well. Maybe I'm skipping a step?

YES. iT'S WEIRD AIN'T IT? And Even when I try to move it with move tool it won't move like the other two images do.OKAY I just figured something out. When i clic crop to selection that is when it overwrites my previous work disappears.