Plugin, not an effect.

Hello.

I am considering writing a plugin for Paint.net to use in my own personal project, this plugin would essentially upload changes to a image to a centralized server.

(got the server software running and the client protocol I plan to use) but I can't find I guide that let me controll paint.net at a basic enough level.

Most guides will cover how you you implement an effect as a plugin, this would not be an effect per say, even tough I would need to modify the picture in paint.net after updates etc.

I am wondering, how are the actual possibilities, for writing a plugin for paint.net thats not an effect, preferably as a  plugin that is NOT stateless. But even if it is stateless, is there a way to hook it in without handling it as an effect, rather a menu option or separat runtime popupwindow or the like?

If there are any resources relating to writing these kinds of plugins, where could I find them?

Essentially the goal is to allow multiuser editing of the same resources using a centralized server, this would for instance allow me to see texture updates in my game as soon as they are saved, or allow multiple users to edit the same texture "simultaniously".

If there is no good way to do this, I will simply carry on writting my own paint tool.

Unfortunately, the Paint.NET plugin system only allows one to create effects, adjustments and filetypes that are invoked from the menu bar or save dialog.  You might try a filetype, but (according to Rick) it must actually produce a save file; so, you could upload to the cloud AND save as a local .PNG, or something.

But as described, no, sorry, there's no way to do that in Paint.NET.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Ah ok. So in theory, I would be forced to hook up all my logic either to the trigger effect step, doing the logic when the effect is supposed to be performed, and actually upload the data, with all the internal connection, server login, verification code etc in that call.

Or doing the same on saving the filetype as you save while outputing a file...

Main issue would be losing "realtime" possibilities as well as losing the possiblity to hold a connection without hammering the server, and that in turn would make you lose any updates anyone else is doing at that point... 

I guess will look into implementing my own paint tool then.

Simon Brown created an "Upload To" effect that, when invoked as an effect, would upload the selected area to a cloud service.  He'd probably be the best one to talk to about that sort of server jockeying.  It's a bit beyond me.

Anyway, good luck with your tool.  If that's the easier option...woof.  ;-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Yeah, it would definitely be a hack.  :-)