Making backgrounds transparent

I'm looking for a method of superimposing a forground image onto another image. The other members, Reinhard, ptuZ, & Hannah Prower all have tutorials about the subject but they don't work. These guys better go to computer programming school & crack the books, because they don't know how to operate computers yet. It isn't apparent whether such a thing is technically possible, but I challenge them to prove it. Its possible to get a image to have a grey & white checkerboard background, but that background certainly isn't transparent & won't blend into any other image of either .Png, .Gif, or .jpg type. I challenge them to come up with a step by step tutorial showing a image actually being superimposed seamlessly into another one. We'll all believe it when we see it.

I'm torn between thinking fair troll or just plain confused here. Sadly, I dont want to believe you're a troll. Merely confused on how to use things.

But the tone, insults, etc all come across as troll.

However, perhaps you should re-read this part of the documentation on how PDN works. Then revisit those tutorials and how to blend layers together to have images with areas of transparency (as shown by that checkboard) will indeed blend together.

From the help for PDN on layers @ http://www.getpaint....WithLayers.html :

Pixels and Transparency

Every layer in Paint.NET is composed of pixels which contain a color and an alpha, or opacity value. This alpha value may range from 0 (completely transparent) to 255 (completely opaque). (Other software may refer to this as ranging from 0% to 100%.) If a pixel is transparent, then pixels from the layers below will show through. Paint.NET uses a technique called alpha compositing to be able to display a layered image on a standard computer monitor.

However, transparent pixels cannot be displayed on a computer monitor. In order to simulate this Paint.NET uses a checkerboard pattern, which looks like this:

Transparency

checkerboard.png

If you see this then it means that part of your image is transparent -- the checkerboard pattern is not actually part of the image. If you save the image and then view or load it with other software then the checkerboard pattern will not be there (unless that other software also uses a checkerboard pattern to simulate transparency).

In the following example, the background has been removed from the apple. When placed on another layer you can see the checkerboard represents the transparent area where lower layers show through:

Example

appletransparentbg.png <-- Background removed, represented by checkerboard pattern

appleonseattle.png <-- Apple placed on background image of Seattle

Gallery at PDN-Fans