Is there a plugin to simplify this?

scharette150

I'm curious, I made this picture and it took about 5 hours to do. I was wondering if there was an easier way, or a plugin to do a "comic" look? If so could you let me know, otherwise I guess I have to continue to do the the hard way. Also, does anyone know what your resolution, pixels need to be set at to be able to print on a canvas? I tried uploading this to walmart, and it was set at 3214 x 3026 pixels, and the resolution was at 300. But it told me that the resolution wasn't high enough and told me the res in pixels and my pixels were way above what they were asking. I just don't want to spend $80 on a canvas and it not come out right. Also, if you use the "resize" button will that matter after you've already done the work? Thanks!

Maxwarholtogether.jpg

I'm curious, I made this picture and it took about 5 hours to do. I was wondering if there was an easier way, or a plugin to do a "comic" look?

I found this tutorial the other day to do those pastel cartoons like we used to see on the Charles Schwab commercials. (Scroll down that page to see finished examples).

And, this tutorial shows how to create an oil painting appearance, including the canvas texture (if you wanted to save money).

Also, does anyone know what your resolution, pixels need to be set at to be able to print on a canvas? I tried uploading this to walmart, and it was set at 3214 x 3026 pixels, and the resolution was at 300. But it told me that the resolution wasn't high enough and told me the res in pixels and my pixels were way above what they were asking.

Walmart's page says the size should be a minimum 2600x2200. Nothing about DPI.

I didn't understand what you recounted from the Walmart page's error. Maybe you could reproduce the error message exactly?

Edited by az2000

Here is what it says on there site when I try to select a 20 x 24 inch canvas:

If the resolution of a picture in your cart is too low for a given print size or product, we will mark the print size with the "" marker. You can still print this photo, but it will not look as good as if you used a higher resolution photo. Learn more about resolution.

Please note: Pictures copied from websites, even photo websites, are often low-resolution images that are optimized to load fast in browsers and look good on-screen, but they often will not look good when printed

Please refer to this chart to determine the minimum image size you need to produce quality prints and photo products:

And for this picture is says 2600 x 2200 pixels. What exactly does this mean? It will work for an 8x10 though.

And for this picture is says 2600 x 2200 pixels. What exactly does this mean? It will work for an 8x10 though.

2600 x 2200 is the pixel diemisions (height x width). That's the recommended minimum size for a 20"x24" print. But, they don't say what the DPI should be.

Usually for printing, the the DPI is 300 to 1200. It depends on the printer.

Changing DPI will change the number of pixels necessary to create a size of print. For example, at 110 DPI, Walmart's suggested minimum pixel dimension produces 20"x24". But, that's an oddball DPI. At 300 DPI, it requires a 7200 x 6000 pixel dimension to produce that same 20"x24"

Unfortunately, Walmart isn't giving you enough information. An example of how you get what you pay for at Walmart. You might try one of the other internet-based canvas print businesses. (Google for "photo canvas prints."). Or, if Walmart allows returns, just try one and see what it looks like.

The problem with not knowing the DPI is that, if you use a smaller DPI, it won't look as good as it could. The information Walmart is proving doesn't make sense. The pixel width and height should be a constant given the DPI. The way they say it should be a minimum height x width makes it sound strange to me.

Maybe others have some thoughts on this. There is a tutorial about DPI which might help. You can play with DPI, pixel width x height and printed dimensions (in inches) using Image -> Resize. See how changing one affects the others. To me, DPI is the key. You know the printed size (inches). The pixel dimensions (2600 x 2200 "minimum") are meaningless (IMO). They're a result of DPI and printed size.

You could try uploading images with different DPI sizes (72, 96, 120, 150, 300, 600) to Walmart. See what it accepts. Then experiment with different pixel dimensions. But, larger pixels dimensions doesn't equate to higher quality. If Walmart shrinks the image to fit the printed size, it could get unsharp.

Edited by az2000