How to make design of a Badge/Crest?

I am trying to create a Club Badge or Crest on paint.net.

(please see examples)

shall appreciate guidance on the following:

1. Which tools to use for creating the basic shield shape outline?

2. How do i make the ribbon shape e.g.blaby bowling club

3. How do i write the curved lettering e.g. Nil satis

4. Is there any way that i can give a metallic effect like a police badge either to the whole badge or only the letters?

5. What about a fabric effect?

I realize that I have put several questions but hope someone will kindly give advice.

thanks.

17113_a19f3d55ca8ab85023879d25d8a57207

17113_4915ba72a12dd0b573b29c35e157c4b6

17113_96c3ba834bb6d83c8ea538a6e6cc4100

About everything you want to do can be done with the standard tools in PdN and a couple of plugins. Let's look at each of your questions.

1. Which tools to use for creating the basic shield shape outline? The line tool would be the obvious choice, but you could also use a combination of the various shape tools at the bottom of the tool bar. I would suggest that you make everything on separate layers and even some parts on multiple layers and then merged down. Also the gradient tools would give you the effect of depth to them that would give them a more realistic look. I would also do a Google Image search on badges and crests (you apparently have) and use them as a template.

2. How do i make the ribbon shape e.g.blaby bowling club Again, pretty much the same as above. Here the gradient tool or maybe even the Muli Color Gradient would be better to use because they would give you the variation in color you will need to give it depth.

3. How do i write the curved lettering e.g. Nil satis You can use the Circle Text v1.1 plugin or use Yellowman's tutorial in the text section of the Tutorial section. There are many great tutorials in that section that will give you ideas that will make your text really pop off the image.

4. Is there any way that i can give a metallic effect like a police badge either to the whole badge or only the letters? Yes, the metallize plugin. My favorite plugin right now.

5. What about a fabric effect? I really like to make my own texture and use the texturize plugin or the ripples plugin. I'm sure there are many other ways to get the effect that you want. Again, look through the tutorial section and see what is available.

Good luck.

This might give you an idea of what can be done. This is a badge I was asked to create for our County Police Ambulance department last month.

th_Shield2_EMS_Blue_small.png

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

About everything you want to do can be done with the standard tools in PdN and a couple of plugins. Let's look at each of your questions.

1. Which tools to use for creating the basic shield shape outline? The line tool would be the obvious choice, but you could also use a combination of the various shape tools at the bottom of the tool bar. I would suggest that you make everything on separate layers and even some parts on multiple layers and then merged down. Also the gradient tools would give you the effect of depth to them that would give them a more realistic look. I would also do a Google Image search on badges and crests (you apparently have) and use them as a template.

2. How do i make the ribbon shape e.g.blaby bowling club Again, pretty much the same as above. Here the gradient tool or maybe even the Muli Color Gradient would be better to use because they would give you the variation in color you will need to give it depth.

3. How do i write the curved lettering e.g. Nil satis You can use the Circle Text v1.1 plugin or use Yellowman's tutorial in the text section of the Tutorial section. There are many great tutorials in that section that will give you ideas that will make your text really pop off the image.

4. Is there any way that i can give a metallic effect like a police badge either to the whole badge or only the letters? Yes, the metallize plugin. My favorite plugin right now.

5. What about a fabric effect? I really like to make my own texture and use the texturize plugin or the ripples plugin. I'm sure there are many other ways to get the effect that you want. Again, look through the tutorial section and see what is available.

Good luck.

EXCELLENT.

thanks for the detailed guidance. i will really need to learn by trying out a lot.Thanks again for taking the time and troubles

This might give you an idea of what can be done. This is a badge I was asked to create for our County Police Ambulance department last month.

th_Shield2_EMS_Blue_small.png