First time on & observation re: Rules

Hello, just signed on.

I probably won't be too terribly active here, as I'm more of a programmer (VB.NET) than I am a graphics aficianado. I do find a bit of an artistic streak in myself, though, however novice it may be. And, as I'm an absolute beginner at Paint.NET, well... with your gracious assistance I may be able to overcome that.

First of all I'd like to extend a warm thank you and appreciation for all the hard work of our forum moderators. Folks, I have trouble keeping up with my own limited volume of a few emails a day—I have absolutely no idea how you manage to do this. I'm in awe :)

I must admit I'm a bit curious about Rule #11. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but it would seem quite valuable to be able to post a reply to any thread, even one that's "expired," especially when the reply is a solution to the stated problem.

This way someone searching the forum at a later date can more easily find what he's looking for in a single thread, rather than wade through several trying to find a solution. Also, the original thread is more likely to more accurately describe the original problem.

May I ask the history behind Rule #11? What sort of thing was happening to inspire its creation?

You've got my curiousity piqued :)

Thanks,

Jeff Bowman

By and large, it's because Paint.NET is released in versions. A problem with Paint.NET 2.0, for example, is quite unlikely to apply to 3.5: they're just that different. If a new user comes to the forum looking for help with a 3.5 problem and finds a 2.0 thread they think applies, they could waste their time trying to figure out a problem that doesn't exist anymore.

Essentially, all threads older than the current version should be mistrusted, so we put a statute of limitations out there. :-) People are more than welcome to open new threads, that's not a problem. And, since most people do anyway, it's not one we typically have a whole lot of problems enforcing. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Shhh! We try to keep the whip cracking on Rick, only letting him out of his coding cage once a week for Rock Band and beer. We don't want him to know he could slack off! :-P

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.