How to Color

I have never used anything but MSPaint. I am still learning about this program, and I need someone nice and patient to help me.

My friend drew a picture for me. I don't know how. She posted a link to it once it was done. I pasted the link and copied the image. Then I pasted it into Paint.net. I want to color it and I don't know how. I have perused a number of tutorials, and all of them seemed to deal with coloring images you had created yourself within the program and not copy/pasted images. When I asked my friend about this, she said that I'd have to "go under the lines." She isn't familiar with Paint.net.

Can you help me?

Scan the picture onto paint net and then use paint bucket?

'Nuff said.

I don't know the right terminology, so I'm probably going to come off sounding like a moron here:

If I draw a picture into the program (paint.net) myself, the lines are solid. But when I copy and paste a picture into the program, the lines are not solid black lines - there are also pixels of varying grays, and when I try to use the paint bucket those lighter pixels become stupid-looking empty spaces. Maybe it would be better to say that, when I use the paint bucket, the color does not end up smooth.