Startup Crash

Hi there,

I've been using Paint.net for months and have fallen in love with it. Randomly 3 days ago when I went to start the program I got an error message and a log placed on my desktop.

I emailed the log like I was supposed to and have not heard anything back. I would hate to switch to another program because I know how to use this one.

My log:

This text file was created because Paint.NET crashed.

Please e-mail this file to crashlog@getpaint.net so we can diagnose and fix the problem.

Application version: Paint.NET v3.36 (Final Release build 3.36.3158.38068)

Time of crash: 12/31/2008 4:47:48 PM

Application uptime: 00:00:00.2680000

OS Version: 6.0.6001.65536 Service Pack 1 Workstation x86

.NET version: CLR 2.0.50727.1434 x86, FX 2.0 2.0SP1 3.0 3.0SP1

Processor: 2x "IntelĀ® Core2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50GHz" @ ~1496MHz (DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3)

Physical memory: 3061 MB

UI DPI: 96.00 dpi (1.00x scale)

Tablet PC: no

Updates: true, 12/20/2008

Locale: pdnr.c: en-US, hklm: en-US, hkcu: n/a, cc: en-US, cuic: en-US

Features log:

Loaded assemblies:

mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 @ C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorlib.dll

PaintDotNet, Version=3.36.3158.38068, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.exe

System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 @ C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 @ C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a @ C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

PaintDotNet.Core, Version=3.36.3158.38063, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Core.dll

PaintDotNet.Base, Version=3.36.3158.38062, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Base.dll

PaintDotNet.SystemLayer, Version=3.36.3158.38062, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.dll

PaintDotNet.Resources, Version=3.36.3158.38063, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Resources.dll

PaintDotNet.Data, Version=3.36.3158.38064, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Data.dll

PaintDotNet.Effects, Version=3.36.3158.38065, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null @ C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Effects.dll

Exception details:

System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to compare two elements in the array. ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

at System.Array.SorterObjectArray.QuickSort(Int32 left, Int32 right)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Array.SorterObjectArray.QuickSort(Int32 left, Int32 right)

at System.Array.Sort(Array keys, Array items, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer comparer)

at System.Collections.ArrayList.Sort(Int32 index, Int32 count, IComparer comparer)

at System.Collections.ArrayList.Sort(IComparer comparer)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripPanel.ToolStripPanelControlCollection.Sort()

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripPanel.JoinControls(Boolean forceLayout)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripPanel.EndInit()

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripPanel.OnLayoutResuming(Boolean resumeLayout)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ResumeLayout(Boolean performLayout)

at PaintDotNet.PdnToolBar.InitializeComponent()

at PaintDotNet.PdnToolBar..ctor()

at PaintDotNet.AppWorkspace.InitializeComponent()

at PaintDotNet.AppWorkspace..ctor()

at PaintDotNet.MainForm.InitializeComponent()

at PaintDotNet.MainForm..ctor(String[] args)

at PaintDotNet.Startup.StartPart2()

at PaintDotNet.Startup.Start()

at PaintDotNet.Startup.Main(String[] args)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would appreciate some help ASAP as I need to get some work done using the program.

Thanks!

Exception details:

System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to compare two elements in the array. ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. [Emphasis added]

Only you can shed light onto this.

Do you have administrator rights to the computer and all associated program files?

Certainly. If you have a look at this support article, you will be able to check whether your account has permission to modify particular files and folders: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419#4

I understand from your crash log that you are running Windows Vista. This article speaks for XP users, but the operation is interoperable with Vista.

Alright, I followed what the link you posted above said to do. I switched the owner from Sara's Laptop to Administrator and I made sure that both had "full control".

When I go to start Paint.net now, I get a fatal error:

PaintDotNet.exe- Fatal error

CLR error: 80004005

The program will now terminate.

I have absolutely no clue what to do now.....help??

Okay then, try for a fresh install of Paint.NET*, and failing that, the .NET Framework(s).

See if that sets you right. If not, then I apologise as I cannot offer anything further. Somebody else might have a suggestion either at this stage or when all else has failed.

*don't worry about your plugins if you have any, they are retained as long as you do not delete the Paint.NET program folder after uninstallation.

• 4 weeks later...